x
Beta Member

Merging, Exporting/Importing Customers into the Directory resets their Visit Count and Money Spent

When we had to transition Square Accounts, we exported and imported our customer list to the new account.  We have also been having our staff merge duplicates after they identify it is the same customer that used a different phone number, email, or payment.  I did an audit yesterday of our customers because our customer retention rate and returning customer frequency just continued to decline while "new" customers climbed. I completed the audit and it is a nightmare. 

We have 47,000 customers in the system, some customers have been merged 1-2 times and it completely erased their information, there are some that have 5 to 6 duplicates and 10,000 with no name, no email, no phone number, or just one of the three. I have attempted to import and export to combine everything in batches but then realized it completely erases their frequency altogether.  Our highest rewards member--who visited our restaurant 161 times in less than a year now shows 0 visits, 0 points, and 0 money spent.

I reached out to support and was told to that the only thing we can do is manually link our customers to transactions and match card data or emails if they happen to be linked and was told to pay my staff to do it.  If we only had 4,000 to 5,000 customers then of course or if importing and exporting wasn't part of the problem--i would just do it myself ( like I tried to) but we have 47,000 and that is not counting our unintegrated platforms--A few which i imported in but I now see I have to manually link them to each transaction and can't just create the category of transaction ID because Square doesn't link that way.

Can anyone help in any way? Or do I face the reality of manually fixing 47,000 customers since--again--merging and importing/exporting was part of the problem.....

The title of this post has been edited from the original: "Merge/Import/Export Customers Changes-Visit Count=0, Money Spent=0"

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Hello @jaugustin

Firstly, welcome to the Seller Community I am sorry to hear that you're here because you've run into trouble. This is a complicated situation. I hope other Sellers are able to see your post and share their experience and input on how to best approach this case.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2