x

NEW! Printing labels for drink orders

What is the best way to print order tickets using labels?  I'm setting up Square in a small coffee cafe at my church and would like to print drink orders tickets on a label to stick to the cups.  I see I can use the Star printer with Max stick paper... but it seems very expensive.  Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 189
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hey y'all ! The wait is over... Single Item Printing is now LIVE in the Point of Sale app. 🥳️ 

Now you can print individual tickets for drink and/or food orders and their modifiers.  

Take it a step further with printing tickets on sticky labels! My friend @AprilMarie gives you the run down about label printer and sticky labels support for iOS devices here, and @Helen shares the details for label printer and sticky labels support for Android devices and Square Register here.

I hope this message finds you well! Let us know if you need further guidance.✌️ 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 148 of 189
188 REPLIES 188

I actually have 2 of the star TSP654SK label printers sent new...the came without ethernet power supplies so I updated them with brand new cards and power supplies and have almost a full case of paper (I think 10 rolls) We decided as a team not to do labels and continue hand writing for the novelty. If you re interested..please email me at contact@dapperandstout.com

Message 169 of 189

TSP654IISK sticky label printer works with Square Register and there is a setting for compact tickets. I cannot find a way to add our logo on the single item order tickets. If I do a test print the logo shows up, but not on the order tickets.  We really need the logo for social media shares.  Also the TSP654IISK supports 80mm, 58mm, and 40mm paper. The printer comes with the 58mm and 40mm adapters in the box. But it seems only 80mm paper is available.  I know that if ever 58mm linerless sticky paper was sold, the software would have to be updated to support it, with smaller font, etc.  

JG

Johnny Gilchrist
Message 170 of 189
Beta Member

Been waiting for sticky label printing for years! We're glad it's finally here but what a waste of paper. A single item with 3 modifiers takes up 3.5" of paper on the compact label setting. Hope we can get a quick solution to reducing this.

Message 171 of 189

I'm seeing conflicting info about the Star TSP654IISK sticky label Printer and it's compatibility with a "Square Register". On the Square website it says this printer DOES NOT work on Square Register, but in this forum others say it DOES work.

Please share your experience and confirm/deny if it works with Square Register or not. 

Sticky labels would be ideal for my Cafe but I don't want to spend $400+ of it doesn't work with my set

-up. Thanks!

Message 172 of 189

Update to my earlier post:  I did purchase some 58mm paper (2 1/4") and it works fine ( 2-1/4" x 170' MaxStick PLUS Sticky Thermal Paper Rolls Diamond Adhesive) in the TSP654IISK sticky label printer. Just use the adapter that comes with the printer.  I tried it out in Square Register and it worked but the printing goes off the paper because there is no setting yet in the software for 58mm paper. The whole reason this is important is because 80mm paper takes up half a cup when you stick it on. Just way too big! Other bubble tea shops use Epson sticky thermal paper printers and these are the perfect size and look great as single order tickets on cups. I will keep waiting. 

Johnny Gilchrist
Message 173 of 189
Beta Member

This. No point in spending money on cute cups if the label covers up half the cup. 58mm works for IOS devices but for whatever reason, it doesn’t work on Square Register. It baffles me that square would release their own hardware yet hold back features that they give to iPad users. I understand the customer base is much bigger for iPad users, but if you want to sell the Square Register (which you should simply for the amazing customer display functionality - covid?), why limit the software?? It doesn’t convince anyone to buy one. In fact, I am in the process of switching over to Toast for this very reason - that I can’t print smaller cup labels - can’t change the font size, margins, paper size, on Square Register. Why….????

Message 174 of 189
Square

Hi @Jason Ability to print on smaller labels (58mm and 40mm for StarTSP645SK) is coming soon on Sq Register (Oct 2022 timeframe). We are also working on smaller shortened printed content for food container labels. Happy to discuss more with you if this is the main reason you are considering Toast.

Message 175 of 189
Beta Member

Hi Anjalia, is this a “we’ll work on it in October and finish when we finish” or is it actually on the approved feature list for October? This continues to baffle me bc the square register is truly one of a kind in the market yet the support and software continues to lag. I wanted to use square for restaurants paid version but apparently I can’t bc the software doesn’t support Square Register yet. That’s another reason to switch to Toast.

Message 176 of 189
Beta Member

@jasonhuangml @AnjaliA @mrboovn 

definitely a “we’ll work on it in Oct 2022 and finish when we finish”. Still not available and no timeline has been given. I even have a product feature request that I submitted and has been reviewed from a few months back but with no indication that it’s a priority.

this is made even more strange because there’s actually a setting in the square app on my phone that allows the software to scale the font size down to fit 58mm sticky labels. But they don’t offer this same setting on the Square Register which is their flagship hardware?? Definitely confused as to why we can scale font size for 58mm in the square app and it works great on my phone, but don’t have the same feature on the register

Message 177 of 189
Beta Member

Here's a direct link to the feature request I submitted to Square regarding adding the ability to scale down the font on Square Register for 58mm sticky labels: https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Square-Hardware/Square-Register-Support-of-58mm-Sticky-Labels/idi...

It's a quick read! Please feel free to comment on it and like it to help boost it's importance so we can hopefully get an update faster

Message 178 of 189

Hi,

That will be be fantastic!!!  I know many of us that use 16, 20, 24 oz PET or PP cups will be so happy for this update for Square Register. 

Johnny

Johnny Gilchrist
Message 179 of 189
Beta Member

Hi Anjalia, do you know when the ability to print on smaller labels available ? All of the your major competitors have smaller labels and I am in the process switching to Snackpass . 

Message 180 of 189
Beta Member

We have the same issue! I submitted a feature request for this here: https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Square-Hardware/Square-Register-Support-of-58mm-Sticky-Labels/idi...

Please take a few minutes to take a look and give it an upvote! Hoping we can get enough traction on this request that they add 58mm support to their flagship Square Register to make the sticky labels actually usable in a coffee shop/cafe setting!

Message 181 of 189

Yes definitely need a fix to the size of these labels.  Way too big.. have to turn it sideways on an 8 oz cup.

Please come up with a solution to reduce the blank space before and after the order.  What a waste of paper and takes up way too much room!

Message 182 of 189

The StarTSP645SK printer is great but I WISH the empty space at the top of each label could be reduced. I reached out to Star Micronics support to see if they could help me adjust this, but it's an issue with Square. Please make this a priority so we can have labels fit on smaller cups but also help us to save money on sticky paper! Small business owners are trying to cut costs wherever we possibly can. Thank you!

Message 183 of 189
Beta Member

Have you gone into the printer settings in your register? There should be an option to print “compact tickets” in your printer settings! It helps cut down on the amount of printer paper used - we’ve had this setting on for a while now and it makes a huge difference! Plus the tickets are much less cumbersome to deal with

Message 184 of 189

Yes, we have turned on the "compact tickets" feature but there's still a good portion of empty space at the top of the label. Hopefully this would be a quick fix on Square's side. 

Message 185 of 189
Beta Member

Yes we’re facing with the same problem, still big ticket with all empty space even Linerless paper is too expensive 

Message 186 of 189

Hello.  I have had a great experience with our sticky labels and printer per the Square site.  However, they are EXPENSIVE. We have set the receipt to print each item on its own separate receipt which tell us which item per the ticket. We send all regular receipts via email or phone number to save on additional cost and to have only the sticky paper printing during the order.  The printer is plugged into the Square stand directly with Square For Resturants app.  I read that the sticky receipt option is not available for the new Square terminal.  

Message 187 of 189

I just wanted to chime in myself as a cafe operator for our church, we’ve used Square for three years and like it, but we’ve expanded to so many drink options that the current label situation is sloppy at best.

• We use expensive, high quality Linerless paper and it still barely sticks to cups.
  • Labels are still relatively large and waste paper.
  • printer software is too finicky, you have to remove papers asap or it throws out an error for “failure to print”

It’s gotten so bad that we’ve invited a toast rep to our location next week to do a demo with their system, they seemed to have promised all of these issues will be nonexistent so we shall see. 

Message 188 of 189

Thermal sticker label printer are nifty little devices that use heat to produce high-quality prints on specially designed thermal paper. They're often used in businesses, warehouses, shipping companies, and even at home for various labeling needs. These printers are efficient, fast, and produce durable labels without the need for ink or toner.

Message 189 of 189