x

Any advice for seller who mistakenly charged sales to incorrect seller account?

I use Square for two businesses (neither of which I am the owner) - and credited a large sum of money at a farmer's market the other day to the wrong business. While I have solved the problem between the two owners, I'm very worried about the customers who will be receiving their credit card statements and contest the charges because it isn't recognizable. 

Has this happened to anyone else before? And how did you handle it? 

Is there anything Square can do about this? I'm guessing it's only possible to contact people if they have shared their information (ie. for receipts). And it's likely most people won't think twice about their statements, but I'd like to prepare for the worst case scenario.

thanks for any advice!

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

I have talked to a few sellers that ran into this issue. 

It can definitely look a bit strange to customers on their bank statements, so we help out if possible by reaching out proactively. So long as you sent them a receipt like you mentioned, out Support Team can get in contact with them on your behalf. 

If in the event the customer files a dispute with their bank, just be sure to document and note all of the things that occurred so that our Disputes Team has everything they will need to try and resolve the case with your customers bank. 

Message 2 of 4

Thanks, EJ. This is really helpful. 

As for information that would be helpful in case of a dispute - the information I have would be very minimal. Perhaps the purchase amount if we could link it to the last 4-digits of a credit card number and the date. Is that enough?

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Our Disputes Team will use any and all of the information you have, even if it's just the transaction information. 

However, you will have a Disputes Form that you can fill out to give them a run down of what occurred so that they know the situation. 

Message 4 of 4