x

Can I set up a recurring credit charge, where the first month is $0 and each month after is $49

I want to give customers the option of a free 30-day trial. After the 30 days have passed, then I'll charge them $49 per month.

Message 1 of 9
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Can I set up a recurring credit charge, where the first month is $0 and each month after is $49

Charging $0 would be best, but charging $1 also has the upside that this way I'll know if the card is valid right at the start of their trial. So, can I set up an automatically recurring charge where the first month is $1 and subsequent months are $49, or would I have to edit each initial charge to increase the amount to the $49 level?

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@rpalmquist

We would only have the option for you to set-up a $1 for the first month and recurring at $49 past that. You could always refund the first payment as a work around.

Definitely happy to pass that feedback to the team though. I can see where that $0 invoice for the first month would be handy.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Admin

Best Answer

@rpalmquist

We would only have the option for you to set-up a $1 for the first month and recurring at $49 past that. You could always refund the first payment as a work around.

Definitely happy to pass that feedback to the team though. I can see where that $0 invoice for the first month would be handy.

kellyj
Square Inc
Message 2 of 9

Charging $0 would be best, but charging $1 also has the upside that this way I'll know if the card is valid right at the start of their trial. So, can I set up an automatically recurring charge where the first month is $1 and subsequent months are $49, or would I have to edit each initial charge to increase the amount to the $49 level?

Message 3 of 9
Super Seller Alumni

How about setting up the first month's payment as some other method than charge/debit?  Then Square's $1 minimum charge wouldn't apply.

Judy T Shumway
Message 4 of 9

Can you give me a more detailed example of your idea? Thanks.

Message 5 of 9
Super Seller Alumni

That was just an idea I had to work around Square's minimum $1 charge.  I don't use invoicing, so I'm not sure how it works, but I was thinking if you entered an invoice for the 1st month (at full price), then discounted the amount to zero, you could process it as a cash, check, or other method of payment.  Since Square only gets involved in charged/debited transactions, they wouldn't object to processing a zero amount payment.  Hope this helps.

Judy T Shumway
Message 6 of 9
Admin

@rpalmquist

I would suggest making a single invoices for the first month. Charge $49.00 with a 100% discount and resolve the sale to Cash. Then Set up a Recurring Invoice for monthly charges, at $49.00 and have your Customer add their card on file for automatic payment.

kellyj
Square Inc
Message 7 of 9

I set up a button with the code that was generated for a subscription service on my website, but we offer first month free.  Is there a way to add this so payments start the following month?

Message 8 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hi! I've merged your post to an existing thread that should help answer your question. Thanks!!

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 9