x

Can I use Square to process payments on a US military base physically located outside of the US?

I understand Square is working to get it available overseas.  I am wondering where you are in the process.  Is the a date we can look forward to seeing the services available to us overseas?

Until then, I work on a U.S. military installation in Japan.  My understanding the U.S. military installation are soverign U.S. territories, is it possible to get FPO and APO address authorized for use to allow those of us serving overseas to use Square?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Square in the U.S. overseas.

Message 1 of 28
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

@TheRevaxiolist Hey this is kind of a tricky question. Never the less I'm glad you asked it!

Currently, if you have a United States Square account, you will only be able to process transactions if you are located in one of the 50 states. Currently card processing is not available in any territories or military installations. 

Learn more about international availability here.

I hope this information helps. If you have any other questions feel free to reply back! 😃

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Admin

Confirmed: at this time, the ability to spend money internationally from your Square Card is not available. We're excited about this new feature and we'll share more updates as we continue to iterate. Appreciate your patience! 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 22 of 28

I live on a military base in Japan. I selected U.S. for square reader and I am unable to process payments. Please help.

Message 23 of 28
Super Seller Alumni

Your Square system will only work in the country in which you set it up.  If you set your account up in the US, you cannot process sales in Japan, even on a US military base.  This part of a reply from Square support is oldish, but I can't find anything more recent that refutes it:

"So currently if you have a United States Square account, you will only be able to process transactions if you are located in one of the 50 states. Currently card processing is not available in any territories or military installations. 

Although, there is one work around. Square is available in Japan, but you need to be a Japanese citizen to process credit cards. If you have a business partner with Japanese credentials you could set up an account and operate in Yen."

Note that you'd need to set up a new Square account in Japan - you still couldn't use your current account.

Judy T Shumway
Message 24 of 28

I am in Germany working for the US Air Force, but have a Reiki business that is registered in the US. I can't change the time zone to CEST - Berlin time for people here to be able to set up an appointment on the calendar. In fact, I try to put my APO address as the business location but and it has Armed Forces Europe (AE) as a choice but your site won't accept it. Please help on both issues.  Need my business calendar and current location to sync.

Message 25 of 28
Square Community Moderator

Welcome back to the Community, @Tucsonconnie -

This is a great question and I actually moved your post to a thread where another seller had the same issue working on a base in Japan. 

For your situation, it's different. Currently, Square doesn't offer processing in Germany, so you wouldn't be able to start a new account. 

You wouldn't be able to take those payments in person like you did before. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 26 of 28

Okay, so it’s been 5 years since this post. When are they going to accept FPO/AP addresses and who can we talk to to get that moving? I’m military and most of my target market is also military. It’s a setback at this point. Changing websites would be an option if I didn’t already have as much conversions and reviews etc as I do through square. 

Message 27 of 28
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Tiantae

We hear you loud and clear. I would love to see the ability to accept FPO/AP addresses with our POS system. 

We appreciate your feedback while Square tries its best to accommodate every seller. 

We will make sure to provide you with any updates. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 28 of 28