x

Can Square Canada accept USD funds?

I currently have a Square account for processing advertising payments for a publication in Ontario, Canada. The currency is obviously in CAD funds.

My question is this: I also publish a second print magazine and sell subscriptions to the print publication. Up until now I have been using PayPal only because 90% of my subscribers are located in the U.S. If I integrated Square to accept CC payments for this publication, a) Can U.S. customers pay via their credit card in U.S. currency even though I have a Canadian Square account? The exchange rate is to my benefit, but U.S. customers usually being charged $22 USD won't understand being charged $30 CAD funds.

Am I allowed to simultaneously have a Square account in Canada and a Square account in the U.S.? I live in Canada, but I do have a U.S. P.O. Box located in Niagara Falls, NY. Is this possible? My only concern is how do I get my Square funds deposited from a U.S. account into my bank in Canada?

Please help!! Wanting to do more business using Square!

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hello @PublisherBlair! Great questions, I'll answer each one below:

Can U.S. customers pay via their credit card in U.S. currency even though I have a Canadian Square account?

When you accept a payment in Canada the payment is processed in CAD. Keep in mind your customers may be charged the a conversion fee by their card-issuing bank to complete the payment.

Am I allowed to simultaneously have a Square account in Canada and a Square account in the U.S.?

You could have two separate Square accounts. However, to create a US Square account you have to be located in the US to set up the account. You must also provide the required information to sign up for an account in the US and finally, you'd need to link a US bank account (you couldn't link a Canadian account.)

I wish there was an easier way to use Square in different countries. If anything changes we'll post here to let you know! 

Helen
Seller Community Manager, Square
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Admin

Best Answer

Hello @PublisherBlair! Great questions, I'll answer each one below:

Can U.S. customers pay via their credit card in U.S. currency even though I have a Canadian Square account?

When you accept a payment in Canada the payment is processed in CAD. Keep in mind your customers may be charged the a conversion fee by their card-issuing bank to complete the payment.

Am I allowed to simultaneously have a Square account in Canada and a Square account in the U.S.?

You could have two separate Square accounts. However, to create a US Square account you have to be located in the US to set up the account. You must also provide the required information to sign up for an account in the US and finally, you'd need to link a US bank account (you couldn't link a Canadian account.)

I wish there was an easier way to use Square in different countries. If anything changes we'll post here to let you know! 

Helen
Seller Community Manager, Square
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 8

It is February 2020. Reading everything and... A Canadian ONLINE merchant is not able to accept USD payments from USD customers and transfer them into a USD currency account (in Canada)? How hard is that? I am 100% confident that my company is not the only online merchant from Canada that ships in USA. Square is still so square or are there updates to this from two years ago?

Message 3 of 8

@constantinek Crickets......you'll hear nothing but crickets from them on multi-currencies.

I've been posting for 4 years about the need to provide at very least cash tender options for multi currencies, let alone CC processing at different currencies.

Message 4 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @malibuclub - thanks for chiming in on this thread. Multi-currency acceptance and designation for reporting remains a Feature Request for us. At this time, we don't have any shareable plans or specific timeline for if and when this feature will become available.

We will continue to push out all relevant news and updates on this thread as we know them. Thanks again!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 8

NOT CORRECT ANSWER - I try to register an account with ITIN, but your system rejects and asking to provide SSN, I have a bank account without SSN, it registred true ITIN, another payment system, also registered using ITIN, only square up asking for mandatory SSN, and you do not have support line who can help 😞 😞 😞 

but on your website: "valid SSN or ITIN". 😉

Social Security Number Requirement

We are required by banking industry regulations and federal law to ask for the Social Security number, date of birth, and full name for each of our primary account holders. The only alternative to providing a SSN is a valid ITIN. There is no way to create a Square account without this information.

Even if you plan on using Square as a business or organization, in order to create a Square account you must provide your individual name, mailing address, date of birth, and a valid SSN or ITIN.

Message 6 of 8

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Can a Canadian account change in USD?

Is it possible to charge my clients in USD if I'm using a Canadian Square Account?

Message 7 of 8

HI, I was able to find a Square discussion on your topic here.

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/General-Discussion/Can-Square-Canada-accept-USD-funds/td-p/89154

Hope This Helps!
TERRI
Offering Online Store Assistance
Resale Collection - Hanger Hues
❄️❄️ A BLESSING received, I survived the TEXAS SNOWMAGEDDON Feb 2021 ❄️❄️
Message 8 of 8