x

Can the "Add Customer to Sale" search function be modified?

The "Customer Search" and "Add Customer to Sale" search functions list all customer profiles that include the matching letters/numbers any place within the profile name.  Can these search functionalities be tuned to match the beginning of the first or last names instead of the letter order anywhere in the profile name? This change would greatly improve the speed of a successful customer search by reducing the number of results.

For example, presently when I search for customer John Doe's profile I will start by entering "Jo".  The results will include every profile that has the characters "jo" anywhere in the profile name instead of profiles that start with "jo".  I appreciate how this change of search functionality could limit the results too much, but the current configuration provides too many results to be useful and I am forced to ask the customer to enter their phone number.  I'd much prefer to enter their name based on the incomplete information I can remember. I think that's the type of personal recognition the loyalty program could help facilitate.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Hello @Connecting_IRL

Thank you for taking the time to explain why you want the search function changed and how it currently effects your business. Right now we do not have the ability to tweak the search to only pull the beginning of a first or last name. It's an interesting concept. 

I'll make sure to share it with our Point of Sale and Customer Directory team's. 🙂

Message 2 of 6

Great suggestion. The customer search field could be a lot more intuitive and robust. It'd be great if it searched by your suggested first letters as that is how names are normally searched. Also, if it can be searched by even customer notes and phone numbers, I think the Square community would use it more for customer loyalties and such. 

Message 3 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Zen2 I love that added suggestion to the feature request! I will continue to share these thoughts with our development team. 🙂

Please let me know if you have any other questions as well. I'm happy to help!

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 6

On the topic of customer management in Square, if we already have the customer's email and phone number, it would be great if those areas could auto-populate with their information when Square asks how they would like to receive their receipt. Forcing customer's to manually re-enter their information every time they shop is cumbersome and time consuming for them as well as the seller.

It would be a win-win situation. The customer could easily get and keep their receipt without having to worry about storing a paper copy (for returns or warranty). The seller (and the environment!) would save on receipt paper.

Message 5 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hi again, @Zen2! Good to hear from you again! 

I have some great news! This feature is already implemented within our system 🥳️ Your customers, once they have made a purchase with a Square Seller, should automatically be enrolled in digital receipts either via SMS text or Email! 

You can learn more about Digital Receipts, opting in or out, and overall management here

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 6