x

Does Kindle Fire HD 8 work with Square chip and magstripe readers?

Need Help...need to buy a tablet to use with my square chip and magstripe readers....what do I buy. I like Kindle Fire HD 8. Any help would be great!

Message 1 of 24
1 Verified Answer
EJ_
Verified Answer

Re: Does Kindle Fire HD 8 work with Square chip and magstripe readers?

@jujubee6 The Kindle Fire is not compatible with our Magstripe reader, or our Chip Card reader unfortunately, as Square is only compatible with the Android or Apple Operating Systems. 

Per our Magnetic and Chip Card Reader Compatibility Page:

The Square magstripe and chip card readers are compatible with most Apple iOS and Android devices running the latest software versions.

We don’t currently support:

• BlackBerry devices
  • Windows devices
  • Non-mobile devices, such as laptop and desktop computers
  • Unreleased or beta software versions for your device
  • Amazon Kindle devices

Additionally, per our Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader Compatibility Page:

The Square contactless and chip reader is supported on iOS and Android devices with the following:

• The latest software version: Android 5.0 or above, and the latest iOS 9.0 or above.
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Kindle Fires are not Officially supported.  I use and recommend iPads, they just released a brand new one last month that has a good spec bump and dropped the price to #329 (I saw it on sale for less than $299 at stores).  iPads are a bit more expensive but last like a tank and even hold quite a bit of their value and are supported by apple for many years (5+ years whereas some cheapo Android models come with a 3-year-old operating system and no upgrade path).  I still have a working iPad 1 from 7 years ago.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Fire HD 8 plus is an android, so why does it not work with a square reader to take ebt payments ?

Message 22 of 24
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @greeenevillefarm

Not every device will be compatible with our hardware. We test as many devices as we can - you can confirm device compatibility prior to purchasing hardware by looking for your device here. If the device is not listed here, that means we haven't tested it, and cannot guarantee compatibility.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community  

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 23 of 24
Beta Member

To directly answer your question - YES it WILL work - I have done it and ran that setup for a year. 

NO YOU SHOULD NOT DO IT!

2 Reasons -

1.) I now used an approved device and it just works much better. I had many random disconnects with a non supported kindle device. 

2.) Your staff will be able to see your entire amazon history, book reads...all kinds of personal goodies.  You dont want them knowing all your kinky secrets do you? 

So in conclusion, you can buy a decent samsung approved device for less than $200.  Do that. 

Message 24 of 24