x
Beta Member

Does Square Point of Sale support Bitcoin as a currency option?

I use Square Point of Sale for my restaurant and a few customers have asked if I can accept Bitcoin.  I've seen a few articles stating that the point of sale app will add support sometime soon, but I haven't been able to find out any more about that.

Does Square Point of Sale support Bitcoin?  If not, are there plans to add that support in the near future?  And, if it is available, it needs to be pretty simple so I can train all the staff to use it. 

thanks.

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Square Point of Sale support Bitcoin?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 109
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Can I accept crypto currencies?

Hey @MetaJoe!

Good question. At this time, Square POS does not accept bitcoin or crypto currency payments.

Take a look at the best answer in this thread for a workaround suggestion. 

1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

It is not currently supported directly.  That would be interesting to accept but many people are scared of it as it is a virtual currency that fluctuates wildly sometimes.

You could accept bitcoin payment directly to your Bitcoin wallet and use Square Register and mark it as "other" in the payment field.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 109
108 REPLIES 108
Admin

@PHM I'm sorry but we don't have an updates for you at this time. I'll let the product team know that you're customers are already showing interest.

If we have any updates to share in future we'll post again in this thread! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 22 of 109

Yes, would love to accept Bitcoin in my shop and online using Square!

Message 23 of 109

Any idea if Square will soon offer processing for cryptocurrency payments (e.g "Bitcoin & Litecoin Accepted Here" businesses)? 

Message 24 of 109
Admin

It's not possible to accept bitcoin with Square — I've moved your post here @cmahle as other sellers have asked the same question. 

I don't have an update on this right now but I'll share your interest in this feature with the appropriate team! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 25 of 109

Couldnt we have someone develop an API to accept BTC for us?  I am not a programmer so I do not know this answer myself.  I just figured if we got our own personal programmer to use the API integration and a personalized little set up that should work yes?

Message 26 of 109

I too am looking to accept bitcoin. I have several customoers already paying with the cryptocurrencies, the problem comes in trying to deposit them into traditional banks... I was skeptical at first like most, but I think square would be excellent in heading the future of virtual currency.

Message 27 of 109
Admin

Thanks @TheToyboxllc, we'll share your interest with the Product Team!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 28 of 109

I was thinking, and above you said its not possible to accept bitcoin with square, well, what if we started it online and did it slowly?  Now I understand that there is no real way for square to collet fees for the use of BTC, but, what if there was a way to track sales still, like you already do, and just take the normal % fee in USD based off of all sales including BTC?  Also start it online only and scale it to IRL...  Take that up with the IT team and let me know how amazing they think that is.

Message 29 of 109

I would also be very interested in accepting bitcoin for payments on square. I love square, it's convenient and my customers always comment on how great it is. Hope it becomes an option soon. 

Message 30 of 109

The search does not give any results for the term Bitcoin but I assume I am not the first one asking for this.

When will the Square POS finally support Bitcoin?

A few clients asked for it and they mentioned that Jack Dorsey frequently talks about Bitcoin and says that it is the big next thing. If there is a beta-version can I get that one or if there is a trail can I be part of it?

Message 31 of 109
Alumni

Hey @SMB - Thanks for reaching out. We currently don't have an ETA on if or when Bitcoin integration might be implemented. We will make sure to update you if we hear any news regarding it.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 32 of 109

I CANT WAIT FOR BITCOIN AND LITECOIN TO COME TO THIS PLATFORM

Message 33 of 109
Super Seller

Please remember your Canadian buddies whenever you start implementing cryptocurrency to the Square platform. 🙂 

Michael
New Light Photography | SUB Photo | Square fan
Message 34 of 109
Square Community Moderator

We love our Canadian buddies, @Michael_L! We will definitely let you know when we have more info to share on this Feature Request 🇨🇦

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 35 of 109
Super Seller

This is a bitcoin test that started today for Square Cash customers. not fully functioning yet, and a small subset of users but it is a start.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/15/square-tests-bying-and-selling-bitcoin-inside-its-payment-app/

Message 36 of 109

It's a start, great news!!!!

Message 37 of 109

Note to the Square powers that be...

Our business accepts Dash and Bitcoin, in that order of preference. We do it using mobile wallets and enter it in Square as "other"... Kinda like a check.

Why Dash: because (a) it's nearly instantaneous and (b) fees are pennies per transaction, no matter how big the transaction. It truly is the digital cash of the crypto currency space. We accept Bitcoin, but it is slow and expensive, so it kinda loses the point for retail POS. In fact we suspect our Bitcoin transactions to go to zero and Dash to increase.

We'd still like to see both integrated because there is demand. We can manage it at the moment because our staff is super small. Seamless integration would be a real boon. We're glad that you have taken the first steps forward with Square Cash. Thank you for listening.

Message 38 of 109

What wallet are you using for Dash?  We're using Coinbase for Bitcoin, Ether, and Litecoin, but am open to others.  

Message 39 of 109

We're using the Dash Wallet (developed by Hash Engineering) on mobile. I know that the Dash community is working on developing a Copay-based wallet to be release in January, I believe. Copay is the gold standard for cryptocurrency wallets right now, but there is not one based on that codebase for Dash yet (again, look for it in January, I believe). The Dash Wallet I mentioned before is simple enough though.

Message 40 of 109

any update on using bitcoin? yall should work a deal with coinbase or bitconnect

Message 41 of 109
Alumni

Hi @irockvision - No updates yet, but thanks for this request! Square POS currently doesn't support bitcoin, but we're happy to share your feedback with the team. 

Message 42 of 109