x
Beta Member

Employee Passcodes - "Timeout After"

I am trying out Team Management and have a question regarding individual employee passcodes.

I see that my options under "Setting" > "Passcodes" are:

Timeout After:

Never, 30 Seconds, 1 Minute, or 5 Minutes

I would prefer "Never" (30 sec - 5 mins is irritating because the barista (only 1 per shift) wastes time entering the code between orders), but this does not appear to allow the employee to log out after their shift is over. If you tap the "Log Out -initials-" on the lower right corner, it appears that it only logs out a current employee when a new one has signed in.

As such, changing logins would then be the responsibility of the person on the next shift, which isn't very secure. Unfortunately it would be easy for the next person to be in a rush or forget - causing my sales-by-employee reporting to be off. Which is the main reason I would want Team Management!

Is is possible to allow the employee to log themselves out; giving them the responsibility instead of the next employee?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Square Community Moderator

Hi there @jbirsinger

Welcome to the Seller Community! Thank you for reaching out with your feedback and questions.

To start - the option to never timeout would fall under as a feature request. 

Next, let's tackle the logout for employees. Definitely - the employees should be able to take on the responsibility of logging themselves out. They would go to "logout" in the corner and pick the initials to logout. 

Let me know if this doesn't do the trick for you!

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 10
Beta Member

Can the Square Register be setup so a sale it auto logs Team member out?

Message 3 of 10
Alumni

Yes, from Settings > Security > Passcodes, you will see an option to timeout screen after each sale. That setting will require the next team member to enter their passcode for POS access. 

@jewelcam

Justin
Message 4 of 10
Beta Member

HI is that setting on the Square Register or on the Dashboard?

Message 5 of 10
Beta Member

Hi I found the setting under Devices, however, when i set it to 30sec, it times out while the Team member is actively entering a sale?  it should wait until there is no activity for 30 sec then it would log out. 

Message 6 of 10
Alumni

Okay sounds like you have Square Retail or Square Restaurant subscribed to find that setting under Devices. 

As for the timeout issue, that shouldn't happen. Can you set it to timeout after each sale instead of 30 secs? Sounds like that's the setting you want based off your initial post.

@jewelcam

Justin
Message 7 of 10
Beta Member

HI the option to "set it to timeout after each sale" is not available within the Dashboard Setting or the Square Register. If you can tell me where that is i will set it. thank you

Yes i am using Square Retail on the Square Register

Message 8 of 10
Beta Member

We would like Square Retail to timeout the user between transactions as well. As @jewelcam  said, we don't see the option to "set it to timeout after each sale." Please advise.

Message 9 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hello @shumble 👋

At this time the only available options for Screen Timeout on Square for Retail are: 30 Seconds, 1 Minute and 5 Minutes. These can be found under your Device settings in your Square Dashboard under the respective Device settings. 

JJ
Message 10 of 10