x

Feature Request: Ability to disable 'save card info' when customer books via Appointments

Please allow us to remove the check-box for customers to save card info when making a booking through Appointments.

I require card info during booking only as no-show protection (no charge at the time of booking). But because of this check-box, an astonishing number of customers don't bring any sort of payment when they arrive, forcing us to pay higher transaction fees.

Or if removing the check-box is not an option, at the very least reword the text next to the box to make it clear that it's optional. As it stands, the phrasing makes the box appear to be required to complete the booking process.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Square Community Moderator

Hey @DaoDeJing,

I think you definitely have a solid point with this and I understand how this would cause an issue when customers think it's mandatory.

I want to make sure of something though before I say it isn't possible to take this off as of right now but do you have No-Show Protection turned on in the Settings? I know that would make it require a card on file to book an Appointment so that could be why the box isn't showing as optional. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 8

Yes, I require a card for no-show protection; I've edited the original post to clarify.

However, having Square hold their card for no-show protection is different from a customer allowing me to keep their card info in my database, isn't it?

The vast majority of my customers do not have any card info when I look them up in my customer registry, despite 100% of them having to provide a card at booking for no-show protection.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what this check-box does. I assumed it determines whether they are giving me permission to keep their card info for any and all charges - versus only giving Square permission to specifically charge the no-show fee.

Message 3 of 8

@DaoDeJing With No-Show Protection, it's a little tricky because technically yes it does save their card on file but it's your choice to charge it and for how much depending on what your cancellation policy is.

If you have this feature enabled, it will ask each client for a card to enter in case they don't show up but isn't the same as card on file. 

I wonder if you have a pre-payment option turned on in your > Payments & Cancellations section of the Dashboard for Appointments. 

There is also a way for customers to just choose to add it themselves through the Customer Profile as well though and you'd be able to charge their card on file through the app but that's where you run into higher fees. 

So I get what you're saying in making the messaging clearer to customers that they don't have to save their card on file so it won't happen to you as often.

I'm going to pass this up to our Appointments team and let them know the experience you're having with it. 

Ashley C
Message 4 of 8

No, I don't have prepayment enabled. Just no-show protection.

I've attached a screenshot of my customer booking page. The check-box I'm concerned about is: "I authorize Escapade to store this card..."

Are you saying this check-box is not an optional feature to add the card to their customer profile? In other words, it's a required check-box which only signifies permission to charge the no-show fee? If so, the wording of the sentence gives the totally opposite impression.

Or, if instead this check-box is an option which adds the card to their customer profile, then I request we be given the ability to remove it from the booking page. Or at the very least, please reword the sentence to make it clear the selection is optional. Simply adding (Optional) to the start of the line would be simple and perfect.

square-booking-example.png

Message 5 of 8

@DaoDeJing I definitely see how the wording for it to be optional would be useful.

That box isn't optional if the customer chooses to opt into it while booking or on their customer profile so I'll let the Appointments team know about this and suggest some re-wording there for you. 

Ashley C
Message 6 of 8

"That box isn't optional if the customer chooses to opt into it..."

Well, of course. But the way it is worded, it implies that it's always required in order to ever make a booking.

Thanks for passing along the suggestion.

Message 7 of 8
Beta Member

YES. We have so many clients not bringing payment thinking they either:

1) already paid online so they don't bring a card

Or

2) think that because they put their card in online that it automatically saved for when they come in

Square- WE NEED the tiny check box under 'save card for transaction' either required to be checked or just an automated thing.

Please let us sellers have more options with the checkout and booking screens.

Please- this would be so helpful in our day to day operations and would make things run WAY smoother for us.

Message 8 of 8