x

Fraudulent charge

I was charged over $1,000 for services across 15 transactions in a two day period, none of which should have been charged to me. Square has quoted the merchant a 7 day waiting period for refunds to complete, and provides no customer service line for non-subsrcibers. This apparently means that they have no concern for fraud that is perpetrated either by or through them. 

Has anyone in the community faced this or a similar issue?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Hey @jniemczura, this is an interesting subject. 

Just for some clarification Square is a merchant services company. So we process credit cards for businesses just like First Data, Ingencio, and Verifone. In the event that you have a fraudulent charge your bank will provide consumer protection in the form of a payment dispute. If you file a dispute your bank will then contact Square and we will begin investigating from our end. 

If you had a fraudulent charge at Best Buy, Costco, or Target the process would be exactly the same. 

Currently we only provide phone support to Square Sellers, because we want to be there for our sellers when they need us the most. 

It's great that you've been able to contact the seller about this. Just as a heads up the maximum amount of time a refund can take is 14 business days. If you are past this time frame I recommend reaching out to your bank. 

I hope this helps! 

Message 2 of 4

Hi chuckita here so Me and my bank filed a dispute and i haven’t gotten any of my money back . The funds were suppose to be refunded Tuesday but nothing is there. I tried contacting square by phone but my customer code is not valid I don’t know why and i used it yesterday 

Message 3 of 4
Beta Member

I just noticed someone in another country has used my square card to make some purchases with my balance. Square is who my card is with so aren't they my bank?! When I read Square's fraud protocols they say they flag anything out of the ordinary then exactly describing the fraud being perpetrated but never once contacting me by phone about unusual charges and money transfers in a different country. Seriously wtf Square? Who is asleep at the wheel in your fraud and securities department. Any other of my bank accounts would have put a hold on any charges because I rarely use a credit card and if I even travel to a convention in the same state I inform my banks. 

Message 4 of 4