x
Beta Member

GTIN for Square POS

Will GTINs be made available in the Square Point of Sale app? GTINs were recently made available in the Register app ONLY, but they would be extremely useful for POS users as well. The ability to have both SKU and GTIN fields and to be able to use them in the POS app would be beneficial for many Square users.

We greatly prefer the workflow of the POS app, but are forced to use Register now because it is the only way we can take advantage of the GTIN (we depend on Barcodes) but also use separate SKUs.

Hoping someone at Square can make this integration happen on the POS as well.

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi again, @villagebeer - thanks for taking the time to post a new thread about GTIN availability. Always good to have new conversations!

As I mentioned previously in your posts, currently,we can confirm that there are no plans to bring GTIN to the normal Square Point of Sale. This feature will remain as accessible through the Square for Retail platform.

For record keeping purposes, I will merge your other requests into this same posts. This will be streamlined as I send your requests over to our Product Teams as a Feature Request.

Thanks again!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Beta Member

If you are using the Square POS app then it won't support the GTIN. It is only supported in the the Retail App.  We need Square to make GTINs available in the POS app asap.

Message 2 of 7

Once again, thanks for the feedback surrounding GTIN's @villagebeer. I'm going to go ahead and merge this post into your original, as well.

Thanks, again!

Joe
Message 3 of 7
Beta Member

Can you please make GTINs available in the Square POS. It is only currently available in the Retail app, but they would be very useful to those who also you the POS app.

Message 4 of 7

Hi again, @villagebeer. I've gone ahead and merged your post into your existing thread. Take a look at the Best Answer from that thread for more insight!

Joe
Message 5 of 7

Best Answer

Hi again, @villagebeer - thanks for taking the time to post a new thread about GTIN availability. Always good to have new conversations!

As I mentioned previously in your posts, currently,we can confirm that there are no plans to bring GTIN to the normal Square Point of Sale. This feature will remain as accessible through the Square for Retail platform.

For record keeping purposes, I will merge your other requests into this same posts. This will be streamlined as I send your requests over to our Product Teams as a Feature Request.

Thanks again!

Joe

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 7

HI Village,

Feeling your pain.  We research POS a great deal before we selected Square POS for our wocommerce based business taking it to bricks and mortar.  We bought the hardware (one of the major reasons we selected the POS), but were shocked after paying a developer to assist configure the apps that his decision to go with the RETAIL app version for IPAD was useless if we wanted to use the much mentioned Square terminal device for taking payments.

Square customer service just advised that RETAIL POS for Ipad CANT USE SQUARE TERMINAL devices !

So we were forced to deleted that app, and load the generic Square POS app again.  ONLY to find out, or at least we suspect, that POS version doesnt copy wocommerce product GTIN (barcodes) to the app.  Meaning that we cant use barcode readers in store to speed up customer processing. Not sure if that is true, but if so, its a massive flaw in their system.  ALL SQUARE apps should allow the expensive square terminal hardware, AND import all product data, including GTIN codes to their SQAURE APPs.

There might be a laborious work around with excel, but am hoping that I have missed something. What is a POS system that doesnt allow a decent card reader and barcode scanner attachment really useful for?  

Message 7 of 7