x

Gift Card Refund

I apologize if this is listed somewhere else, please redirect as needed. I’m new to using e-gift cards. I refunded a customer purchase onto an e-gift card. The original purchase was cash.That customer then used the gift card to purchase in the exact amount refunded. How does this work, transaction-wise? Will I received the funds from the gift card used?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Theopencircle - Welcome to The Seller Community, it's always nice to see a new face 😊

Great Question.

Funds are only given when a gift card is first purchased using a credit card or cash in your case, because that’s when funds are truly exchanged. In this case, no funds would be given back to you as the seller because no credit card was ran.Even if the original transaction had been card, they would’ve gotten funds when the initial payment was made, and that’s it - once it was put onto the gift card, it’s more or less in this case a “store credit” or at least that’s the best way to think of it to avoid future confusion.

I hope this helps. 

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2