x
Glo99

How do I disable develop options in order for the Square chip reader to work?

When I went to use my Square reader at the market yesterday this error kept appearing: Please disable developer options on order for the square chip reader to work. I am unaware of how to disable this option. Thank You for your response in advance.

Message 1 of 20
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Admin

Re: How do I disable develop options in order for the Square chip reader to work?

Best Answer

Hey @Glo99! It sounds like this error is coming from your device and not the Point of Sale app or reader. This means you can disable the developer options from the Settings section of your device! 

Please follow the steps below:

1. Navigate to Settings > Developer Options on your device.
  2. Toggle Developer Options off.

If you can’t see the Developer Options menu:

1. Tap About Device.
  2. Tap Build Number 7 times.
  3. You'll see a prompt on the screen indicating developer options are enabled.
  4. Tap the back arrow to navigate back to Settings.
  5. Tap Developer Options > Toggle Developer Options off.
  6. This will disable Developer Options on your device.

From there please open the Square Point of Sale app and try to connect your reader again. 

Let me know if you're still having trouble. Happy to help! 

Message 2 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Admin

Re: How do I disable develop options in order for the Square chip reader to work?

Best Answer

Hey @Glo99! It sounds like this error is coming from your device and not the Point of Sale app or reader. This means you can disable the developer options from the Settings section of your device! 

Please follow the steps below:

1. Navigate to Settings > Developer Options on your device.
  2. Toggle Developer Options off.

If you can’t see the Developer Options menu:

1. Tap About Device.
  2. Tap Build Number 7 times.
  3. You'll see a prompt on the screen indicating developer options are enabled.
  4. Tap the back arrow to navigate back to Settings.
  5. Tap Developer Options > Toggle Developer Options off.
  6. This will disable Developer Options on your device.

From there please open the Square Point of Sale app and try to connect your reader again. 

Let me know if you're still having trouble. Happy to help! 

Message 2 of 20
Terra

I don't see the developer option in settings or About Device in Settings? So not sure where to go or how to disable developer.

I get this error msg., when I try to connect the contactless & chip reader.

Please help.  Thanks.

Message 3 of 20
DATT

I am also having this issue with Dev Options message the past couple of days, with connection issues for a couple of weeks, seems to be very unstable and obviously not good for business...I've not had this message before with other phones I've used with my square reader, even when I have had DO switched on I don't recall receiving this message, just no connect...

Message 4 of 20
Admin

@DATT Were you able to run through @ Helen's steps listed above? If you're still running into this issue after going through the steps, I'd suggest reaching out to our Customer Success Team.

Message 5 of 20
DATT

Yes thanks Nika, I did that and much much more before I found this thread...Called Square yesterday with no luck. I paired the reader to my phone (paired no problems), and later opened the app after a fresh install. While going through the app allowance prompts the app suggested I needed to reinstall the app, which I did of course but still no luck with the same message. Later in the day I did a manual transaction via the app on my phone, the approval tick message appeared but when I tried to find the transaction record it wasn't there...

Message 6 of 20
Admin

@DATT Did you happen to ask our Customer Success Team about the transaction that isn't showing up? That part seems really strange.

Message 7 of 20
DATT

No that happened after I called them...I've spent too many hours on this issue in the past few days it's done my head in...

Message 8 of 20
KVMcG

The problem is likely because "Developer Options" are enabled on your Android phone. Go to the phone's settings. Tap on the magnifying glass in the top right corner and search for "Developer Options". Your phone should respond with "{ } Developer options". Tap on that option and it should tell you if Developer options are on or off. If they are ON, then tap the slider button on the right hand side. This should change this setting to "Off".

Go back to your Square app and if your Contactless reader is still in the "Failed" condition, tap on the option to "Forget" the reader and then go through the steps to "Connect" or "Pair" the reader again.

Hope this works for you as it worked for me.

Ken

Message 9 of 20
Serge88

I made sure the developer options were toggled off in the phone settings, tapped "forget this reader" , tried again. Same result. Pop-up screen says "developer options not supported" and the connection fails. 

Message 10 of 20