x

How does Square convert currency?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: US Dollar to Pounds Conversion]

If you live in the United States and you are using Square to charge someone in a different country, do you simply charge the US Dollar amount and it converts automatically?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Alumni

Hey @PGI-CONSULTANTs,

Welcome to the community. 

When charging a customer from a different country, all you have to do is type in the amount you would like to receive/charge in American dollars, and your customer's bank will be responsible for making the conversion on their side.

Square does not handle the conversion of currency whatsoever, being that the currency rate of a country can change on a day-to-day basis. 

For example, If you wish to charge a customer from Europe $10 for your item or service, you will type in $10 on your app to charge, and your customer will see it reflected on their bank statement in their own currency. 

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions by replying in this thread.

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 2 of 7

Thank you very much. 🙂

Message 3 of 7

I'm from Canada and hoping to send an invoice to someone in the United States. Does this work the same if I make an invoice in Canadian dollars will the customer's bank convert to USD when they pay the invoice with either their credit or debit?

Message 4 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hello @Michaela04,

Thank you for reaching out, great question! All Square charges are made in the currency of your country of activation (CAD for you), and your customer's bank does the currency conversion. Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Message 5 of 7

Would you guys add a currency converter so it’s easier for international customers?

Message 6 of 7

Hope this helps Converters

Message 7 of 7