x

I'm concerned about unauthorized account access and phishing scams. What do I do?

I woke up this morning and my email address had been changed (not by me). There is not an easy way to get help. I tried to access the website to get a phone number, and it made me create a new account, but the phone lines are closed for the weekend. I tried emailed the help desk and security, but have not received responses. I am panicking, because some Joe Schmo has my bank information and customer listing at his fingertips. I send out invoices at the beginning of each month, and god only knows what is being done in my name. Please help if you have any suggestions!

Message 1 of 65
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Given the sensitive nature of this subject, we have to escalate these issues into our support team to resolve. If you haven't already, please use this form to send our team an email: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/contact

If you have already sent an email, then there is no need to send another one. We answer emails 7 days a week, so our support team will respond, and will take the appropriate actions to ensure your account's safety.

Phishing scams tend to be the root cause of these issues. Phishing scams are what happens when a fraudulent person reaches out via phone, email, or even text, in effort to gain access to someone else's legitimate account. These articles contain useful information on how to recognize, and protect yourself from a phishing scam.

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 65
64 REPLIES 64

I received an email stating $208 was going to be withdrawn from my account and I don’t know why

Message 43 of 65
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Puma and welcome to the Community.

It sounds like you got one of the phishing scam emails going around that is not actually from us.

I moved your post to this thread with directions on where to forward the email and more details.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 44 of 65

How do I contact customer service for Seller Up? Today I got an invoice for a sale that did not happen and I want to know how to clear it out. I have not found an easy way to contact anyone to resolve this. 

Message 45 of 65

Hi @Matt327,

It sounds like you may of gotten one of the phishing scam emails going around that isn't actually from us. 

Please follow the directions above for more details. 

For future reference too- it's always best to check the address the email was sent from to see if it's one of ours. 

Ashley C
Message 46 of 65

Here is who this email came from that said I owed payment on an invoice. I attempted to rely to it and it did not go through. 

invoicing@messaging.squareup.com

Message 47 of 65
Admin

Hey @Matt327.

Did you recognize the seller that sent the invoice at all? Usually the invoice will give at least the name of the business.

In addition, if you'd like to reach our Support Team without creating a Square account, please email us here. Thanks!

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 48 of 65

Is anyone else receiving a lot of "spam", like  "You Are Advised To Refund Your Customer Immediately To Avoid Dispute." coming from various email addresses?

Message 49 of 65

We have had an influx of emails that appear to be scams. I have noticed that they all have a logo S  identifying the sender versus the Square logo when I am looking at the email on my phone. They have varied from a negative comment from a customer to debiting funds or refunding funds from 380 to 890 dollars. I am forwarding all of the emails to spoof but wanted to share the difference I noted in my inbox that added to my apprehension to open them. I have checked our dashboard and see no activity similar to that of what is being sent in these emails.

Shorty's Mobile Auto Detailing.

Message 50 of 65

I just received a phony email posing as Square sending you a notification that someone left you negative feedback. Do not click on it. It brings you to a phony log in page. 

Message 51 of 65

Respond to your customer

This is a scam.  The email is not the same one that normally sends notifications about customer reviews.  Also you'll notice if you get the email that the image is off centered and there is extra text.  Don't click on it. 

Customer said:

Hello melissa@berryfruitfarm.com:

"Dissatisfied"

Sent from my iPad

Seems your Customer is currently dissatisfied with your service, respond now to avoid negative reviews.

Message 52 of 65

Hello - I received an email with subject line "(urgent) Disputed payment from square" and I do not recognize the customer's email address in the email "To" section and the amount that they are disputing is odd $902.54 and I do not charge that amount for any of my services.  The email gives me their last 4 digits of their card that was used, and when I did a search under transactions I cannot seem to find it.  The email states that if I do not do anything about the dispute, the funds will be deducted from my square balance.  I suspect fraud, what do I do?  Thank you

From
Message 53 of 65
Admin

Thanks for flagging @BodyMindDetox! Check out ashc's post on the first page of this thread. She includes the email address you can forward that to so that our team can investigate.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 54 of 65

Hi there, @BodyMindDetox 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! Happy to have you!

So sorry for the confusion here. This is a phishing attempt by someone impersonating Square in an attempt to steal private information.

If you could do us a favor and forward this over to spoof@squareup.com, it would help us in our investigation into where these are coming from.

Thanks for your diligence in checking to make sure this issue was legitimate! Feel free to reach back out if anything else comes up.

Joe
Message 55 of 65

Thank you for your reply.

I did click the "square" link in the email and it took me to what looked like the square login.  I didn't log in to square - so hopefully, I won't be hacked.  

Message 56 of 65

Good to hear, @BodyMindDetox! Let us know if anything else comes up. We are here to help!

Joe
Message 57 of 65

----- Forwarded Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, August 5, 2020, 05:36:27 PM EDT
Subject: Notice of a $971.39 withdrawal from your bank account

Notice of a $971.39 withdrawal from your bank account
Hello,
We’re reaching out to let you know that your bank account ending in 778 will be debited in the amount of $971.39. Please visit the deposits page on your dashboard to see a detailed description of the charge.
The funds will be withdrawn within one to two business days.
If this bank account is closed, you can update it here.
If you have questions about this withdrawal, please visit our Support Center for more information.
Thanks,
The Square Team
© 2020 SQUARE, INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THESE EMAILS

Message 58 of 65

I received an email stating that someone was disputing charges. I know this is a spam email to get me to give them information. How do I report it to you? Other websites have an email to forward such things to.

Thank you

Linda

Message 59 of 65

Hi @lindaloo59 and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to a thread where this question has been answered already.

Check out the Best Answer above for details. 

In the future, don't hesitate to search your question first here or on the Support Center for your quickest answer too!

Ashley C
Message 60 of 65

Reviews, I always click on the receipt to see who I am responding to.  This review when I do so it wants me to sign in when I am already signed in?  This also states it comes from a Rxisfeedback.com site is this even square?  If so how do I open review to know whom I’m responding to?  It also shows an amount that would not be a charge we would make.  Thinking this is a hack??

Message 61 of 65

Hey @Scubadrae and welcome to the Community.

This definitely is not a site of ours so it sounds like it's a phishing email.

If you did click the links or enter your login information, please go and set up 2-step verification on your account under > Account & Settings on the Dashboard. This will prevent this person from using the login information you entered or from using any information they pulled from clicking the links to get access to your account.

We'd also recommend changing your email password as well as your Square password as soon as possible.

Ashley C
Message 62 of 65

I got an email from someone claiming to be Square. The email it came from was an Australian email. They demanded I refund them $100. I checked our Square account and saw no legitimate chargeback. Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 2.24.03 PM.png

Message 63 of 65