x

Irregular signature requirements. Any explanation?

I have the option turned on to require customer signatures on card transactions over $25. But starting a couple weeks ago, some transactions over $25 seem to randomly not prompt for a signature. Also, some transactions below the $25 threshold do ask for a signature now.

Is there some information on what is going on in these cases? My best guess is that there is some new algorithm that decides whether to request a signature based on the card used, type of security (swipe vs chip vs NFC), customer history, etc. Or maybe the card companies are imposing different requirements?

I searched the forums and didn't find any info about expecting irregular signature prompts. I'm not worried about this, but assuming it is an intentional systemic change it is odd and confusing that there has been no communication about it. If someone could provide some insight into what's up it'd be appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Admin

Hey @DaoDeJing!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community. 

I know that when it asks for a signature even though your settings don't require one for less than $25, it could be due to the following:

If you have collect signatures enabled, Square will collect signatures only when the card provider asks for it.

As far as not being prompted for a signature over $25, I'm wondering if it could be a glitch. What device are you using? Let me know. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 7

That makes sense about signatures below $25, thanks. It's just odd that it only seemed to start happening recently.

As far as no signatures over $25, it is still occurring. I am using an iPad 5th generation (model MP2F2LL/A) running the latest available software for it (version 12.6.1) and with the latest available version of Square PoS for it: 5.45.2 (5452001)

Message 3 of 7

I've noticed that sometimes the charge goes through without the signature page coming up. Even with a returning customer, one time a signature is needed and another time it's not, using the same card. Are the transactions processing the same?

Message 4 of 7
Alumni

@TYBMF - Hmm, I don't know for sure without looking at your device settings but perhaps the signature is disabled for transactions below $25 under Signature & Receipt

Can you check that setting first? 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for your reply. My device is set up to collect signatures for any amount, and this season (just started 2 weeks ago) it seems random when the signature page doesn't come up - especially when it's a returning customer and  every time the amount is under $25. 

Message 6 of 7

Where is "Signature & Receipt"? I can get to "Receipts" where you can alter all the aspects of the receipts, but do not see "SIGNATURE" and Receipt.

Message 7 of 7