x

Is Square currently or do they plan to ever have a fully compatible weight scale like a normal POS?

Is Square currently or do they plan to ever have a fully compatible weight scale like a normal POS? This would be very helpful for a Frozen Yogurt shop.

Message 1 of 18
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @t1m! Welcome to the Seller Community.

We do have selling by weight as an option now with a compatible scale.

You can read more about it on this Support Center article.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 14 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Super Seller Alumni

At this point no, there is not a scale that will connect directly to Square. This support page will provide more information to your question.

Message 2 of 18
Beta Member

Is there any update to supporting an Integrated Scale with Square?  I really really need to use one and I don't want to enter the weight/price manually.

Thanks,

Mike

Message 3 of 18

Michael,

I have been wondering this same question for a while now. It doesn't appear that our issue is important to Square. I have already started looking into other POS systems with an integrated scale.

Message 4 of 18
Admin

@michael_g @jdlangley1 I know it's frustrating that there haven't been any updates on this for a while, I'm sorry abou that. I understand if you need to explore other options for your business.

Rest assured this is still a feature that our Point of Sale team is considering. If you haven't already. take a look at this discussion about how other sellers are using Point of Sale for items sold by weight. We use feedback like yours to show the product team how much sellers need this feature so thanks for flagging this again. We'll share any updates in the Sellery Community as soon as they're available. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 5 of 18
Beta Member

Keep checking for scale integration. I process with square and love it, keep getting marketing emails with fancy new square register and software but I need a scale. I can’t do a work around, it would involve too much manual entry, leaving door wide open for theft. Really wish this was coming, seems like years of “looking into it” are not producing anything. I can’t imagine it being that complicated. 

Message 6 of 18

Yep, still frustrated by this. 

Message 7 of 18
Super Seller

It would be great if there was a scale integration. In the flow of register transactions.  The scale items are by far the slowest.  It involves multiple steps and handling.  To scale an item on our current price computing scale.

1. Place item on scale

2. Press Key (pre-programed) for price/lb

3, Press key for item on register.

4. Enter price using keypad on screen.

5. Press enter.

If this workflow could be streamlined in would be very valuable.

Message 8 of 18
Super Seller Alumni

There's an associated problem involved with your issue of not having a scale.  The other issue is that currently Square does not allow for fractional item entry.  In other words, you'd only be able to sell whole numbers of pounds (or ounces, or whatever your measure is).  So you couldn't sell 1.5#, only 1, 2, 3, etc pounds/ounces/whatever.

Judy T Shumway
Message 9 of 18
Alumni

We'd love to get your thoughts on selling by weight. Leave comments here: https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/General-Discussion/Point-of-Sale-Using-a-scale-to-sell-items-by-w...

Thank you!

Message 10 of 18

I see there have been past discussions about pricing items by weight but nothing recent and so far this feature is still not available. Any idea when this will become available, or another POS app that accommodates price by weight? Not being able to price by weight and simply enter the weight of each item when making a transaction really slows down transaction time and I lose sales when I have a line of customers. It is simply too cumbersome to use a seperate calculator to calculate price by weight and then add the variable price in for each item in a transaction, particularly when you have multiple items per transactions.

It's 2019 y'all, it should not be hard to set prices by weight and people should not have to use a silly workaround to try and make it happen. I am ready to bail on Square for the first point of sale app I can find that will accommodate pricing by weight. 

Message 11 of 18

Hi @SavoryAlaska

We're really sorry this feature hasn't been rolled out quite yet. We definitely get this feedback from a lot of our sellers and it's something our Product team is aware of. 

We totally understand having to do what's best for your business if need be nonetheless but keep an eye out here because we will update this thread if it becomes available soon!

Ashley C
Message 12 of 18

I guess this still isn't available.

Trying to setup for this scenario and not having much luck.

Here is my scenario:

I need to know if its possible to setup the store to make sales in the following scenario:

Item: packaged forest raised pork in various weights based on cut. E.g. pork chops range from 2.0-3.0 lbs per package.
Price: $/lb

How can I set this up w/o creating individualized "variations" of every package w/in an item and setting each package's price individually?

Ideally the customer could simple select a variation (a given package's weight), add it to the cart, and then the price would be calculated based on the price per lb defined for the item.

Message 13 of 18

Best Answer

Hi @t1m! Welcome to the Seller Community.

We do have selling by weight as an option now with a compatible scale.

You can read more about it on this Support Center article.

Ashley C
Message 14 of 18

To be clear, the scenario is based on an online sale and not with physical interaction where a scale would be used during the transaction.

All items have been weighed, and marked already. The scenario is that a customer visits our farm web store, selects an item by its given weight (variation?), then the price for the item is calculated based on the recorded weight (variation?) and price per pound.

For physical, face-2-face, sales the app works fine as far as allowing you to add the weight in as part of the transaction but it gets confusing if the item variation is the vehicle for a specific items weight. 

It seems like the only option for this is to create variations to reflect the weight of the item, then manually calculate the price based on per pound and set that as the "Per Item" price. So technically the price is by the item, but functionally its by the pound.

I'd like for the price to simply be calculated by the pound, where the customer selects the item based on its recorded weight as opposed to having to calculate the price manually for every single item. At low volume, this isn't too onerous but as inventory increases this can become a major pain.

Thanks,

Message 15 of 18

Hi @t1m It's not possible to sell the item by weight on the website at this time. This is already a requested feature, though, and I can check to see if we have any updates on whether or not this will be a possibility. Can you please post a link to your website so we can get a better idea of how you have the items setup at the moment? Thanks! 

Message 16 of 18

BernadetteA,

Is it possible yet to sell items by weight online yet?

I would like to be able to set a price/lb on an item and then input various weights for my in-stock items and have Square calculate the price based on the weight.

Message 17 of 18

is there any  update on this issue? Two years after these messages and still a problem. 

Message 18 of 18