x

How do I change my name, it is incorrect

My name is incorrect how do I change it
Message 1 of 39
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

While we can't edit the name of the account owner but you can edit the name that appears on your customer's receipts! 

Here’s how:

- Sign in to your online Square Dashboard and go to Account & Settings
- Click Business Information on the left-side of the page.
- Add your new business name and click Save.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

HI @Doodle,

I think all you need to do is go to Squareup.com on your desktop, Sign in, and go to the "account and settings" on the left-hand side of your screen. It's kind of near the bottom of the menu. 

You should be able to change it there. 

Hope this helps!

Message 2 of 39
Square

Best Answer

While we can't edit the name of the account owner but you can edit the name that appears on your customer's receipts! 

Here’s how:

- Sign in to your online Square Dashboard and go to Account & Settings
- Click Business Information on the left-side of the page.
- Add your new business name and click Save.

Message 3 of 39

Is there something a Square Support person can do on the backend of the database to correct the owner name or change the owner account email?  

Message 4 of 39

We've corrected all our business info in our account over a year ago, but the 1099k we downloaded still shows the former business name, even though it has been legally changed via the IRS and state where we are located. How do we get a 1099k with our correct business name?

Message 5 of 39
Square Community Moderator

@Dressed2TheTee

Please contact our direct CS team who can assist and advise further. We're not able to do anything with that here from the Seller to Seller Community.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 39

When I post the link in facebook of the square store it says my name instead of the buisiness name. How do I fix this problem?

Message 7 of 39

Did anyone ever find a way to get this changed? I got married...and I still can't figure out how to change my last name...

Message 8 of 39

Hi there, @thekelly. Still no update here regarding the editing of an activation name on a Square Account. If you are looking to edit your business name, this resource may be of some help.

If any updates become available in the future, we will be sure to post them here. 

Joe
Message 9 of 39

I need to change my name as well. I am the account owner and I got married a few months ago. I only see how to change the business name, but not the owner name. Please advise. I just want to update my last name. Thank you in advance!

Message 10 of 39

Hey @FGodbold,

This is answered above in a few of our moderator's responses.

You're not able to change your personal name at all so you would need to create a new account under the new name if you needed it changed but this is only visible to you as the account owner so it's not necessary. 

Ashley C
Message 11 of 39

Thank you!  I was hoping that this had since changed.  I realize that it’s only visible by me, so I won’t worry about it for now.  Thanks again!

Message 12 of 39

No worries @FGodbold! If there is ever an update we'll be sure to update the thread. 

Ashley C
Message 13 of 39

Square, you need to address this. Your users want to be able to change the account owner name on their existing account, and there is no good reason for your company to not offer this service. Every other bank, credit card company, and credit card processor that I deal with has offerend me a way to change my name. Please address this issue.

Message 14 of 39

I agree!

Message 15 of 39
Super Seller

Agreed! I'm working on setting up payroll through Square. In order to get me on payroll, I have to set-up a second "me" with my legal last name so it's not confused on taxes. I got married two years ago. It hasn't been a big issue until now. Being able to send in paperwork to prove a name doesn't seem like it would be a challenge. Or if god forbid something were to happen to me, my business partner should be able to change it to her name. 

Ali Kenis

Sugar Lab Bakeshop

Follow me on Instagram

Celebrating Since 2012
Message 16 of 39

Agreed! I am having the same issue and it does affect your business. My old name is on my square card, so I need the account owner updated along with the square card. Asking us to create a new account, is pointless. All of our history and transactions are with the account we are trying to update. Please advise how business owners can change their account name without creating an entirely different account.

Message 17 of 39

EXACTLY!!!

Message 18 of 39

Not sure if you tried this yet but you can transfer the account from your old name to your new name. That is what I ended up trying and it worked.

Message 19 of 39

Yes! Square needs to fix this issue. 1099k is a legal document and being unable to update your name can make things complicated. I file my taxes under my married name, all of my tax documents should reflect my married name. 

I don’t understand why Square can’t make this possible for us. 

Message 20 of 39

The owner name is incorrect and is causing many issues. For one the identity does not check out. It is preventing us from applying for square checking 

Message 21 of 39