x

How do I change my name, it is incorrect

My name is incorrect how do I change it
Message 1 of 39
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

While we can't edit the name of the account owner but you can edit the name that appears on your customer's receipts! 

Here’s how:

- Sign in to your online Square Dashboard and go to Account & Settings
- Click Business Information on the left-side of the page.
- Add your new business name and click Save.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

I won't ever trust Square with my banking while they still haven't address the Name Change issue. If they cannot offer a basic function that every bank does, the ability to change or make corrections to an Account Holders name, how can they be expected to handle other basic account information changes?

Message 22 of 39
Beta Member

Can we just update our email at least? My personal email is showing as the business email and it prevents me from logging into square team. When I try to login on my personal email it doesn't know that I'm the same person but gives an error if I try to give all my personal details DOB, SS, etc.

Message 23 of 39
Square Community Moderator

Hi @TakingCareOfBiz Yes, you can update the email on file for your Square account. Instructions for doing this can be found here

Message 24 of 39
Beta Member

Hi, I need to change the owners personal email. Not the business email address. Please advise. 

Message 25 of 39
Admin

Hey @TakingCareOfBiz, I'm just stepping in for Bernadette here. I just want to make sure I understood the issue correctly - are you having trouble logging in to your Square account with your business email address, or is it more that the personal email address is showing as the business contact details?

The steps for updating email address is the same as Bernadette outlined here

If you're looking to edit a Team Member's email address, this is something we can do on our end. You can give us a call. Otherwise, you'd have to create a new Team Member and input the new email address.

Tra | she/her
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 26 of 39

Hello, I see this issue string has quite the history. Has SQUARE fixed this? We are a S Corp that one of our officers when setting up our square account used his name. It now shows on the bank account. This is ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE. We need to change this to the corporate name or at minimum the CEO. There should be a simple fix as we are not changing EIN or other tax related information and to request that we start a new account and input countless staff members, payroll, all while losing valuable on going financial information is abhorrent. Please share what the fix is for this small issue.  Thank you. 

Message 27 of 39

This is unfixable according to square. Their solution was to start a new account and that is would be free. The work that would go into that is not free as we all know. 

Message 28 of 39
Beta Member

I just dropped $250 to having my page setup and designed. I dont want to start a new account and everything be a loss. My account owner name is my exhusbands last name and I am now remarried. -_- is there any update on being able to change this? Someone stated before that every bank is now able to do name changes. why is square any different? luckily i am owner and only employee, but I have no clue how im going to pay myself without screwing up my taxes this year.. 

Message 29 of 39

Hey there, @CYHLLC

Welcome to the Community!

Right now, the ability to change the name on your account is still a Feature Request. 

There is a close workaround that was recently launched that could potentially help you from having to start over with a new account. 

Now there is Transfer Account Ownership available. Check out the link I added to a Product Update with this information. 

If you have some more in depth question on how this would specifically work for your account, I would recommend reaching out to one of our CS Team. 1-855-700-6000

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 30 of 39

This workaround does not help if the ultimate goal is to get set up under your new legal name. They have outlined certain situations in the description which are *not* eligible for transferring ownership and changing your legal name is one of them. It's absolutely mind blowing that this is not allowed in any way. No one wants to create a new account and lose all of their information, their entire customer database, their sales history, and more. Please fix this issue, Square. This is a basic, commonplace request and it's unacceptable for you to be lacking this feature.

Message 31 of 39

T Garza

Message 32 of 39

Hey there, @Teresagarza1977

Welcome to the Community. 

Are you looking to change your name in the Community or on your Account?

I will keep an eye out for your reply👀

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 33 of 39

It seems kinda crazy this has been an issue for so long and no one can update the name? Should I deactivate then setup new or will my email address be “taken”? Please help, I’d like to open square banking but not with my last name misspelled. 

Message 34 of 39

I apologize, @EndGameNC

It's not possible to edit the name on the account once it has been activated.

If you wish to create a new account, first edit the email address for your current account to a backup email. This will free the email to be used with the new account when you create it. 

Please let us know if you have any trouble changing the email, and signing up for the new account. 

Thanks! 

Message 35 of 39

This is outrageous, can there not be at least a display name we could set? All of our square appointments are showing the owner name and NOT the business name, and we cannot change the owner name!

Message 36 of 39

Has this been changes yet? TBH my previous last name is on here from my first husband who died by suicide. soooo.... would much rather have my actually now legal new married name of my current husband. Not have a constant reminder of my old name and that painful experience. Like people have said above, we should be able to change our name by providing court/legal docs. PLEASE Update, I do NOT want to get a new account, that is silly. Is the reasoning security? Some reasoning would be nice. thanks!

Meral Renee Jones
Message 37 of 39

SQUARE it is now 2023. Has this issue been resolved? If so, please respond with how to info.

Thank you.

Message 38 of 39

Hey there @Mnaturals thanks for following up on this, at this time it is still a feature request. I do understand this is upsetting and it can feel like this is not being taken seriously, but bringing these features to fruition often takes an ample amount of time and effort from our engineers.  We want to ensure that our releases are not just surface-level products, but the best all-around resources to help you grow your business. We also have made some changes to the feature request process as well. If you wouldn't mind please submit this request to our Ideate Board, which is our new process of tracking feature requests. I know this isn't easy and I truly thank you for continuing to provide your feedback. Please let me know if there is anything else we can do. 

Message 39 of 39