x

Is the Square Stand required for reading barcodes?

Im a brick and mortar very small boutique.  Looking to step away from Shopify and in to Square for Retail.  Do I need a square stand in order to use the barcode reader? I have everyting else I need but would prefer not to have to use the actual stand.

Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Square Champion

Best Answer

You do not need the stand for the Socket Mobile Bluetooth scanner. We use them, and they work great. 

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller Alumni

As far as I know, yes, you'd need the stand.  The stand includes the USB hub that connects the peripherals like the printer, barcode scanner, etc and routes the data through the port on your phone.  Although, they do sell a Bluetooth barcode scanner in the Square Store.  I don't think you'd need the stand for that.  You might contact customer service to confirm that before ordering, however.

Message 2 of 6
Square Champion

Best Answer

You do not need the stand for the Socket Mobile Bluetooth scanner. We use them, and they work great. 

Message 3 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hi @circablue

@LocavoreStore is correct here (Thanks for helping out 👍🏼)

The Socket Mobile 7ci connects to iPads via Bluetooth, so you don't need the Square Stand for this specific accessory. 

Message 4 of 6

Is that the only bluetooth scanner that will work with Square on ipad or iphone? I already have 2 or 3 bluetooth scanners. I need to track the items numbers of each item sold during a pop-up market event. It is a one day only event, but we have 3 -5 people on checkout I need to get a report or summary of every item that has sold on the hour to post to our website so customers who have items on consignment can see what has sold or not. There doesn't seem to be anywhere in square to either have that item no. populated and or typed in and then appear in the sales history. Thanks for the help. Hoping I'm wrong would prefer to switch from paypal here to square if possible.

Message 5 of 6
Admin

Hi @3roc — welcome to the seller community!

Yes, at this time, the Socket Mobile 7Ci is the only Bluetooth scanner that's compatible with Point of Sale at this time. Keep an eye on this list of supported hardware for updates: Supported Hardware for iPads. If that option doesn't work, you might consider setting up a grid for your frequently sold items — that will allow the people at checkout to quickly locate and apply the item to the sale.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 6 of 6