x

Is the new 2nd Generation Square Stand wireless?

does the new 2nd gen square stand require power if you’re only using the chip reader, and no other accessories? I’m assuming it runs off the power of the iPad? It would be so nice to be totally wireless!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Super Seller

@FoxyLox ;

I am not sure about the 2nd Gen Square Stand, but the 1st Gen Square stand still needed to be plugged in to charge the Ipads at minimum.  When I lost power a few times the Stand would still work and so did the Bluetooth Card reader through my Tablets Hot Spot, back up generator would kick on but no power to front register.  I am not sure how long the Ipad would be able to power the new stand though with the led lights it has and the built in card readers.  The 2nd generation stand does come with a power cord.  Does this only keep the Ipad charged or does it help power the other items.  My fear would be that after 6 - 8 hrs would it run out of power, this would depend on how much you use the Stand to ring up sales.  

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 2 of 8

YES! The 2nd gen square stand must be plugged into power to work. It’s a bit deceiving as all the photos and promo state how it’s less cluttered and they don’t show the power cord.  Hopefully the next gen stand will be able to be powered solely by the iPad like the first gen.  

Message 3 of 8
Super Seller

@ATD ;

At ATD, do you have a 1st Gen Square Stand that is wireless, because I missed that one being sold by Square?

The First Gen Square Stand Still as far as I know needs to be plugged in to charge and keep the Ipad powered.  The power cords can be wired through a hole under the mounting area of the Square Stand to hide all the wires.  This is why the 1st gen Square Stand has a power cord with 3 USB ports connected for Scanners, Printers, Scale or the Credit card reader.  I have heard of issues that on the first Gen models that the Ipads would swell from over charging from being plugged in all the time, which hopefully is fixed with the 2nd Gen models.  The 2nd Gen is less cluttered since you do not need the wireless chip reader sitting on the counter along with the Square Stand since this is now built in.  I do wish they kept the magnetic reader built in since the extra piece for magnetic readers looks out of place.  Now again could the 2nd Gen Stand be powered by the Ipad.....??  Has anyone tried this?  It might be able to power everything for the Square POS since it is an app, the card readers may take some power when reading a card and turning on the led lights.  How much power do these thing use, how long would the Ipads battery last powering everything????  Now again the Ipad 1st Gen did not power my cash drawer or Receipt printer just the Square APP which the 2nd Gen should be able to do as well. 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 4 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Hi all! 👋 @FoxyLox @Candlestore @ATD

All versions of the Square Stand, including 2nd gen, must be plugged into a power source at all times, and will simultaneously charge the iPad, as cited here in the Power Modes section. 

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions!

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 8

I received my new stand a few days ago and can confirm it DOES need to be plugged in to do transactions. A little disappointed with that but removing the iPad is super quick and easy, so I can take it home with me.

Message 6 of 8

So disappointed in my square stand. It never occurred to me that it wasn’t wireless 

Message 7 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Hi @KCCaramels - I'm sorry to hear that your disappointment with your new Square Stand has brought you to the Seller Community 😞

Square offers a 30-day, risk-free return policy on all hardware purchased from Square Shop. If you are interested in returning the Stand and are still within the 30-day window, you can follow the instructions to submit your return here in our Support Center.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 8