x

Is the square card protected in case of fraud

Hi,

I am wondering since the square card is linked to my square balance what will happen in the case of fraud? If someone gets ahold of my card number and uses it will I loose the money in my square account or are we protected against fraudlant purchases using the square card? Thanks.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Super Seller

Message 2 of 9

Card was hacked a few days ago. Total of about $650 over 13 charges. I did cancel the card. One big difference between a bank and square. A bank credits the funds in question immediately and sorts out the problem after that. Thus far 3 days since filing a fraud claim and no response from square. 

I will not use the square card again.

Message 3 of 9

My card was hacked as well. I have the card in my possession. I traced the transactions to Chile, I'm in New York. I hope that they can see that it's not me. The help chat for Square is no help at all and neither is the phone service. They are only open 6am - 6pm PST which doesn't help either since most of the fraudulent charges are in the middle of the night. The hackers wiped me totally out, multiple times now, and Square hasn't shown any activity yet. I was on a call with a rep and they said they would deactivate my card for me, they didn't. So the next day the hackers/companies that authorized the transactions had a go at me again.

I have used Square for years. This is my first issue, but man it's a bad issue. I hope they man up and do diligence in this mess. I can't afford this, I'm pretty sure that no one can. 

Message 4 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @ - 

So sorry you're having issues with fraudulent charges with your Square Card! Check out this Best Answer by @Isabelle__ with steps on how to cancel the card and file a claim for those charges. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 9

I deactivated my card, ordered another one,  and submitted all the claims. I’m just waiting on you guys now.

Message 6 of 9

I deactivated my card, but didn't order a new one!  I refuse to use the Square debit card because the fraud support is lacking.  We will see how it is resolved.  Three charges in the UK and two in Germany.  $382.32 ... will I ever get my money back?  I'm going to look for an alternative to Square.

Message 7 of 9
Square Community Moderator

There is always room for improvement in most businesses and we are well aware of our opportunities to improve. this experience. Thank you for your feedback as it is very valuable @dadsseasonings I will make sure to pass it over to the team for their visibility.

In regards to your case, I can personally say that I have seen many cases where disputes and fraud charges have been resolved in the Sellers' favor. It may take a little bit of time because of the standard dispute process but I hope that we are able to get you up and running soon.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 9
Beta Member

What was the outcome?

Message 9 of 9