x

Is there another option for Square Stand than having customers enter their PIN on the iPad?

Good Evening, 

I purchased the Square Stand Hardware Kit (cash drawer, contactless reader etc) but realized that meant that customers, if they don't have tap or if the amount is higher than their limit that I'll have to turn my Stand around so they can enter their pin.  I then contacted customer service to see if the Terminal works with Stand and was told it did so I purchased that.  I found out after setting up the Stand that it does not work with it.  So my question is, in these Covid times and with a plexiglass shield, how practical or safe is it to have customers touch my iPad to enter their PIN.  Is there no other option?  Will I have to move my plexiglass shield every time someone needs to do this?  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 11
1 Best Answer
Beta Member

Best Answer

The customer can use the Terminal to cash out... If you're using Open Tickets - the Terminal registers these - and you can then select the open ticket, and select charge > and whatever the kind of transaction will be - then hand the terminal to the customer for them to finish the transaction. It's a much longer process than swivelling the stand for them to interact with - and once finished cleaning the iPad. Either way, with a terminal or with the iPad - they both require that they be cleaned off after each usage. The terminal would need to be cleaned all over, whereas the stand would be just the iPad's face. We have cleaner at the ready at all times sitting next to both our stands.

James Wilkinson

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Alumni

Sorry CS misunderstood what you were looking to accomplish. Yes, account data like transactions and items will sync across the Stand and Terminal, but it cannot be connected as an extension to your Stand like a pin pad could. 

For now, you'll need to swivel the stand so the customer can enter their pin. To keep everyone safe and mitigate the transfer of germs, most Sellers rely on disinfectant wipes to sanitize the screen after each sale. Just make sure they're safe on iPad screens. 

Not a bad idea to keep a bottle of hand sanitizer next to your POS also so buyers use it before entering their pin.

@Thatsawrapcanad I hope this helps! 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 11

I had that frustration as well.  If you are in Canada, the Square Register is not available - only in the US I understand.  This is a link to the article on the US website for using a second device as a customer facing screen.  Very frustrated that this is not available in Canada!

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5492-customer-display

Message 3 of 11

I haven’t heard of the Register.  But it looks like that would be a decent option.  

Not sure how I’ll get around the shield but I’ll have to figure that out.  I find it odd that Square hasn’t come up with something for the Canadian market. 

Message 4 of 11
Square Community Moderator

We appreciate your patience, @Thatsawrapcanad - we are working towards bringing new solutions to every supported region in regards to COVID guidelines. As soon as we have more info to share, we will make sure to follow up.

Joe
Message 5 of 11

That would be great.  Thanks for the reply. 

Message 6 of 11

Thanks again, @Thatsawrapcanad!

Joe
Message 7 of 11
Beta Member

Best Answer

The customer can use the Terminal to cash out... If you're using Open Tickets - the Terminal registers these - and you can then select the open ticket, and select charge > and whatever the kind of transaction will be - then hand the terminal to the customer for them to finish the transaction. It's a much longer process than swivelling the stand for them to interact with - and once finished cleaning the iPad. Either way, with a terminal or with the iPad - they both require that they be cleaned off after each usage. The terminal would need to be cleaned all over, whereas the stand would be just the iPad's face. We have cleaner at the ready at all times sitting next to both our stands.

James Wilkinson
Message 8 of 11

We are definitely hoping there is a Canadian solution to this soon as well!  Definitely not ideal to have to have the customer use our Ipad for their pin number.

Message 9 of 11
Beta Member

1000% agree - Square Register would be the best solution in this... Hoping it comes to Canada soon!

James Wilkinson
Message 10 of 11

Thanks for adding your voice in support of this feature, @SANDRAR - hopefully we will have some good news to share on these kind of features in the near future. Thanks for your patience!

Joe
Message 11 of 11