x

Legal business name not matching what's in ABR on activation page

Hi, trying to activate my account to use square reader. in Australian business register it shows the legal name as 'my last name, my first name' however, square automatically enters my legal name as 'my first name my last name'. I think due to the reverse order of first/last name with comma used in Australian business registry confuses Square automatic fill which I cannot edit. I cannot proceed to activate my account .How do I sold the issue?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Admin

Hey @kims1018,

Thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear you're having trouble signing up!

This should't actually make a difference - the info we pull from the ABR isn't displayed to your customers, and is generated as part of Square confirming your ABN. Your customer facing business name is what you enter into Square via the business name or location name settings (location names are set up if you create multiple locations once the account has been initially created)

For the ID verification we don't actually use ABR listings, this is all done via ID verification systems run by Equifax, which is based on credit history and government records (outside the ABR). 

If you're still having trouble here please  call our support team on 1800 760 137. Lines are open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm Melbourne time. They'll be able to take a further look into the information attached to your account and work out what's happening here!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 7

Hi Seamus, thanks for your advice. I kept my trading name, removed the ABN and entered my legal name manually then it let me process through. Done the ID verification via Equifax. Tried a couple of different transactions and received a couple of emails with daily summary and sales. Trial transactions were made yesterday, Easter Monday. Do I expect the funds in my bank account today or tomorrow? Thank you.

Message 3 of 7
Admin

Hey @kims1018,

Provided the bank account has linked, funds are sent by Square on a next business day basis - however if you've set up the account for the first time over the weekend it can take up to 5 business days to link for the very first time, so please keep that in mind!

I'd maybe give support a call in any case to discuss the ABN situation - our terms of service require you to use an ABN if you have one (the exception is for sole trader hobby businesses with no ABN), and it's probably needed for tax purposes.  Though please consult with an account if you have more questions about tax ramifications.

I don't think you have anything to worry about in terms of the name we generate from the ABR when you enter your ABN, so that should not be an issue ๐Ÿ‘

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 4 of 7

Hi Seamus,

I wanted to add my ABN but the webpage didn't let me proceed so I had to remove it to proceed (wanted it set up for my first market this weekend so had to do it quickly). All my products are tax free fresh produce so tax is a not worry. I will ring the number provided to double check when I get a chance.

So once you receive an email notifying 'Square has sent you $$', fund will flow through my account just give a few more days as it was my first set up?

Thank you.

Message 5 of 7

I think the square set up page where ABN and legal name fills are need to change so users can fill their legal name in rather than automatic fill and prohibits further progress perhaps? 

Cheers.

Message 6 of 7
Admin

@kims1018 I think there may be some confusion here about the sign up process, or possibly something in the process is not working as expected - your legal name is entered in a section after the ABN has been verified, and is unrelated to verifying the ABN, as far as I know. Again though, support may be able to help further here and take a better look into your specific account on the back end ๐Ÿ™‚

If you've received an email saying we've sent funds then they should be on the way! Check back in your bank account later today or this evening - different banks can have different processing times once we send funds, but that should mean they're on the way ๐Ÿ‘

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 7 of 7