x

Non-Debit Card Decline

The title of this thread has been changed from "not-debit card declined, [not debit card]."

I had a customer using both visa and mastercard from New York yesterday here in Canada and both cards were declined. The system finally allowed his Amex. Nothing wrong with other cards as he used them both that day and his finances are certainly not a question.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @ayewon! Thanks for dropping us a line here. Want to be the first to say "welcome" to the Seller Community! Always love to see new friends here 👋

This is an interesting one. Card declines are always tricky to diagnose. There are multiple factors that can come into play that can cause a card to decline - even if that card is not debit. We are not usually informed by the card-issuing bank as to why a certain card is declined, but here are some of the most common reasons:

• Security Decline - We often see a customer's withhold a payment from being processed due to their system not recognizing the merchant based upon past purchases. This can be easily resolved by the customer reaching out to their bank to approve the charge.
  • Insufficient Funds or Credit - It sounds like you both were able to rule this one out, but can be helpful to remember certain card limitations surrounding credit when a customer is traveling outside of the country.

I would also take a look into some of our card processing troubleshooting steps - this resource was super helpful to me as a Seller whenever declines would cross my POS.

I hope this is helpful! Feel free to ping us back here if you have any additional questions. Hopefully this issue doesn't persist!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 3

Thanks for your response Joe. I will send him a note to check but like I said his cards worked the next day at various places here in town. And he has used them with me for a couple of years now.

Message 3 of 3