x

Payment failure message

I am curious as to why, occasionally, I will receive an error message stating “this card cannot be used for this transaction“.

this happens with different clients, at different times that use different bank accounts and different cards. Some are credit cards and some or debit cards.

These clients have been using my Square for several years now and the error message makes no sense as they will use their card at one appointment and it goes through fine, come for the next appointment and I get an error message and then at the following appointment it’s fine again. 

payments are not over $100, generally around $50 for each appointment. 

I reached out to square directly via email and the person I spoke with had zero clue on why this could happen and zero clue in trying to find out why. It was very frustrating so I’m hoping somebody here knows why this is happening.  Thanks. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Admin

Hi @Mynailgirl

Thanks for your post. This is not an error message I am familiar with, and it doesn't sound like there's a pattern to what kind of cards it's occurring with. If this is occurring with other sellers, I hope they comment on this thread to give us a bit more insight. 

I know you said you were emailing with a Support team member, but I would suggest giving us a call so we can troubleshoot with you over the phone, and escalate the issue to the appropriate team if necessary. 

Our number is (855) 700-6000 - but you'll also need your customer code.  The steps to look up your code are here. Let us know if you have any additional questions. 

Message 2 of 2