x

Real time shipping quotes

I am trying to add shipping as an option to my online store. I would like to use real time shipping rates, but we are a toy store that sells everything from a small sticker book to a giant wooden kitchen playset and everything in between. I wish there was a way to enter item sizes, and have the RTS rate finder select the smallest box or set of boxes that all of the items would fit in. Apparently I have to pre-assign an item to a box size. If a customer purchases 10 tiny sticker books, they are charged for 10 shipping boxes. I can change the number of items each box can hold, like an 8x5x2 box can hold 10 "items",  but without being able to tell it which items, or having item sizes, this presents even more problems. I think for now, the best solution may be to have a set shipping amount based on price, but use RTS for very large items that will definitely ship by themselves in their own box. I can't figure out how to do that, even though it says in the support center that "You can use a combination of Real Time Shipping and manual shipping rates." If anyone knows how, or has a better suggestion for my situation, your help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Community Moderator

Hey @tberry668,

I reached out to the Weebly team to get some clarification on this.

So while you can use manual and rts rates at the same time, all rates will show at checkout.

It’s not possible to assign shipping rules per product/category so that only the specified rate shows.

It’s a current feature request, though! So we passed it along that you're another seller asking for it and hopefully it's something they'll be able to offer in future improvements. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 6

This is also an issue for our business. These items all are considered single items:

• bottle
  • can
  • jar of tomatoes
  • can of tuna
  • bag of pasta
  • 3-pack of wine
  • 4-pack of beer
  • 6-pack of beer
  • 6-pack of wine
  • case of wine

but they obviously have very different shipping weights. We have no way to specify shipping by category.

Message 3 of 6

Hi Ashley & Square Team,

Two years later, have there been any updates to Square so that we're able to assign shipping rules per product/category?

Thank you,

Rachel

Message 4 of 6

Looking for this too!

Message 5 of 6
Beta Member

Overall the shipping methodology and marketing plan with Square is a disappointment. Most eCommerce platforms offer RTS with no additional costs, yet here is Square touting a simple and user friendly platform yet charging a premium fee to have RTS on your site. The one thing I have learned about Square is that they turn a deaf ear to customer feedback and that marketing a monthly premium plan is more important than becoming main stream and offering RTS at no cost. This is a shame because overall the platform with Square isn't bad, its just not keeping up with the market space.

Message 6 of 6