x

Recent update and invoice and receipt

After the recent update (which was roughly 3weeks ago)

I am no longer able to make the payments go through or send out a copy to my clients. I can make the invoice but when I try to add payment a message pops up:

‘Square invoices needs access to your microphone’

’In order to swipe payment cards with your square reader, square invoices must have access to the microphone connection that is built into your headphone jack.’

’From your settings app, please visit privacy>microphone to enable access, then relaunch square invoices’

I have tried contacting square and I have been told on a couple of occasions that the support will get back to me when it has been rectified.  But apparently once the update is in place it cannot be un-done. 

This has only been an issue when I updated app and allowed access to location when app is in use.

Majority of my clients opt to direct debit and this has been fine up until 3weeks ago but can no longer confirm payment has been made or issue a receipt so my clients can make their claims though their private health funds.

I don’t actually have headphones so not sure why microphone access is even warranted.

Please help

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Square Champion

@Z_X 

I'm guessing you are using the small square reader you plug into your phone. This actually  communicates with your phone via the audio jack. Hence the request for microphone access.

When you have updated your app it seems like you need to re-add the permission,or it may be a new permission. In any case you should add this permission back to the Android OS. This varies a bit between phones but on my phone is under settings/app management/permissions manager. 

In any case you need to find the app in the app list and add the permission OR find the permission in the permissions list and add the app.

Once you (re-)add the permission hopefully it should start to work.

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Wilson
Owner | Vigneron | Distiller
Message 2 of 7

I gave the app permission to have access to the microphone and nothing has changed. I am still unable to take payment and have the invoice marked as paid. 

Message 3 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Deleting the app won't delete your invoices, @Z_X, they're saved on your account so when you sign back in, they'll still be there. Please let us know how you go deleting and reinstalling the app. 

Message 4 of 7

Thank you,

You were right. 

Deleted the app and reinstalled and it's back working. All info appears to be there.

Pity tech support at square don't know this.

Thank you again

Message 5 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Heya @Z_X 👋

Thanks for writing in!

Like Bruce @lawnbrook mentioned, you'll need to enable access to your microphone in order to process payments. You won't need to connect headphones to your device, and you can delete and reinstall the app, at which point you'll just need to enable all requests that pop up to make sure your Square Reader and Point of Sale work as intended. 

Please let us know how you go 🙂

Message 6 of 7

I have had little to no assistance from square.

So, if I delete the app, will it still have all my outstanding invoices there? Do I lose all my information I already have stored there? 

Message 7 of 7