x

Square Payroll: Can I pay employees in a second state?

I have payroll in CA and looking to add employees in a 2nd state.  Do I need to do anything or will the necessary steps get triggered by adding those employees?  

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Admin

Hey @bolsey! At this time Square Payroll does not support multi-state tax withholdings and filings. This means if you add employees who work in a second state any taxes filed and paid by Square Payroll would still go to California.

We are actively working to support business who want to use Payroll for employees in multiple states and you might reach out to a tax professional for advice in the meantime. We'll post updates here in the Community as soon as we have any to share! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 14
Beta Member

Any update?

Message 3 of 14
Alumni

Hey there @siilats ! No update as of yet, but we'll be sure to loop back here if we hear anything! 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 14
Beta Member

hi any update?

Message 5 of 14
Admin

Sorry @siilats. Nothing new. 🙁

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 6 of 14

Update for 2021?

Message 7 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @NicholasF - still not update to share just yet on this one. As soon as we do, we will bounce back here and notify everyone.

Cheers!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 14

This sort of makes it unusable unless there is a way to set it up as locations in multiple states.

Message 9 of 14

This is unreal 

Message 10 of 14

This type of inconvenience makes it hard to stay with square. It shouldn’t take years to find a solution to allow companies who use square to grow to additional states. 

Message 11 of 14

Sad...have been with square for years on my California based company. But have had many employees move to Texas and now need to switch payroll providers as a result, despite product team knowing about this and promising a fix for the entire two years? That is not acceptable for a SAAS company..:-( 

Message 12 of 14

I have been trying to figure this out myself. It's very frustrating! The link here states it's supported in features.. I don't understand? https://squareup.com/us/en/payroll/features

Message 13 of 14

True, this is very inconvenient and frustrating 

Message 14 of 14