x
Beta Member

Square Register limitations

Hello all,

After using the Square Register for a bit, we have noticed a few bugs.

1. No itemized refunds

When doing a refund on the Register, you cannot select what item is being returned -- it only gives you a blank field to enter in how much you want return. Why not be able to select an item (or multiple items) to be returned like on the iPad app? 

2. Sales Report  

Unlike the iPad app, the sales report on the Register does not allow you to select "this device only" or "show item details." These are both important elements to make this report useful. 

3.Emoji

Does not support emojis -- as explained in my other thread. (Thought I would consolidate my feedback into one thread.)

Look forward to seeing these issues getting addressed. 

Speaking of which, where can we see release notes and updates for the Square Register app? Otherwise how are we expected to know when and what issues are getting resolved? 

Thanks.

Message 1 of 29
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hi @square_marc, my name is Evan and I'm one of the product managers for Square Register. First, I want to thank you for sharing your feedback - it's very helpful for us to hear from sellers like you as we work improve Square Register. To address your feedback:

1. Itemized refunds - we're activiely working on supporting itemized refunds. You're correct that we only support itemized refunds on iPad, currently. I don't have an exact timeline to share, but keep an eye out for itemized refunds on Register soon! 
  2. Sales reporting - we're aware of these limitations with sales reporting. We're not actively working on adding this support, but it is functionality we plan on adding in the near future.
  3. Emoji support - we're also aware of the lack of emoji support on Register. We're not acitvely working on adding emoji support at the moment, but it is somthing we'll address. 
  4. Release notes - we're working on publishing a release notes blog on the Seller Community, where we'll update release notes as Register software updates are released, about every three weeks. The release notes blog will be coming very shortly - please stay tuned! 

Again, thank you for your feedback. Please post additional feedback as you think of improvements you want to see - we'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

-Evan

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Square

Best Answer

Hi @square_marc, my name is Evan and I'm one of the product managers for Square Register. First, I want to thank you for sharing your feedback - it's very helpful for us to hear from sellers like you as we work improve Square Register. To address your feedback:

1. Itemized refunds - we're activiely working on supporting itemized refunds. You're correct that we only support itemized refunds on iPad, currently. I don't have an exact timeline to share, but keep an eye out for itemized refunds on Register soon! 
  2. Sales reporting - we're aware of these limitations with sales reporting. We're not actively working on adding this support, but it is functionality we plan on adding in the near future.
  3. Emoji support - we're also aware of the lack of emoji support on Register. We're not acitvely working on adding emoji support at the moment, but it is somthing we'll address. 
  4. Release notes - we're working on publishing a release notes blog on the Seller Community, where we'll update release notes as Register software updates are released, about every three weeks. The release notes blog will be coming very shortly - please stay tuned! 

Again, thank you for your feedback. Please post additional feedback as you think of improvements you want to see - we'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

-Evan

Message 2 of 29
Super Seller Alumni

Thanks @evandoyle for this info! Love the transparency and input of the Square team! So cool!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 3 of 29

@evandoyle,  (If that is your real name)**

WOW!!!!  This is the first time I have seen someone from Square actually provide meaningful, truthful information.  I hope this is a positive trend.  Now if you would add what IS in development (what you are working on) rather than just limiting it to what was asked that would give people something to take interest in and anticiapte seeing.

Wish you could do that for POS as well, or checkout  or whatever it is called now.

** For those that do not know, this comment is based on the fact that many of the customer service representatives use FAKE names when talking to you.  Why you ask?  Don't know.  They already will not give out their last name, so you should demand a case# to track your calls.  Perhaps they are so scared of their customers they feel they need to hide behing FAKE names.

Message 4 of 29

Has the itemized refunds issue not been resolved yet? We just got our register and it looks like it's still the same.  Why would Square's latest and greatest hardware not have the latest Square software loaded on it?  That's a very big issue to still not be fixed.  Timeline?

Message 5 of 29
Square

Hi @TSH - thanks for checking in on itemized refunds. It's actually a new feature that has been in development for Register, and we're very close to launching it (e.g. within a few weeks). It has been in beta for the last six weeks - if you'd like to be a part of the beta, let us know and we can follow up with more information. Thanks! 

Message 6 of 29

Not sure if my previous reply went through because I sent it from my phone . But we are 100% interested in being part of the Beta program as well as sending another vote for it to become part of the main updates asap. 

Thanks and let me know how to get it working!

Message 7 of 29
Square

Great - a member of our beta team will be in touch soon via email. 

Message 8 of 29

Any update on itemized refunds?

Message 9 of 29
Alumni

No update yet @Ernesto, but you should subscribe to the Register Release Notes to get updates as they go live. @chrisrudy is very good at sharing the newest updates. 

Message 10 of 29
Beta Member

Hey @evandoyle

Wanted  to follow up and let you know that the ability to show sales reports "for this device only" is an important feature for us. Otherwise the staff (who does not have access to the dashboard) has no way to know what the activty of their register is. Surprised to see that it was not offered on the Register (esp since it is on iOS app). 

Here is to hoping this gets added soon.

Message 11 of 29
Square

Thank you for checking in on this! It's on our radar. 

Message 12 of 29

I'm trying to follow this feed to find out if the itemized refund issues have been resolved before I commit to purchasing square register.  Do we have any updates?

Message 13 of 29
Square

Hi @Herndon - itemized refunds launched on Register last week. Read more about how to use the feature here: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6116

Message 14 of 29
Beta Member

Another question/issue...how do I connect my Square Register to a bluetooth keyboard? I can find the interface to pair it. 

Message 15 of 29
Alumni

Hey @square_marc - Unfortunately, it doesn't have Bluetooth capabilities at this time.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 16 of 29
Square

Hi @square_marc, adding a little more background here, Bluetooth support is on our longer term roadmap. We don't see very high usage of Bluetooth peripherals like keyboards, barcode scanners and printers (we suspect due to the higher cost of Bluetooth devices and superior reliability of USB peripherals). 

Message 17 of 29
Super Seller Alumni

@evandoyle Thanks for the transparency!

Out of curiosity, does that mean there is inactive Bluetooth hardware in the Square Register and the longer term roadmap is to activate it, or there is no Bluetooth hardware in the Square Register and the longer term roadmap is to add it?

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 18 of 29
Square

Yes, the hardware supports it; we need to do software work. 

Message 19 of 29
Super Seller Alumni

Sweeeet. Thanks for the info!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 20 of 29
Beta Member

So you are saying we can use a USB keyboard? A keyboard is very helpful when you have a lot of SKUs and want to do a quick search. 

(and thank you for the more detailed response. that was very helpful to see.)

Message 21 of 29