x
Beta Member

Square Register limitations

Hello all,

After using the Square Register for a bit, we have noticed a few bugs.

1. No itemized refunds

When doing a refund on the Register, you cannot select what item is being returned -- it only gives you a blank field to enter in how much you want return. Why not be able to select an item (or multiple items) to be returned like on the iPad app? 

2. Sales Report  

Unlike the iPad app, the sales report on the Register does not allow you to select "this device only" or "show item details." These are both important elements to make this report useful. 

3.Emoji

Does not support emojis -- as explained in my other thread. (Thought I would consolidate my feedback into one thread.)

Look forward to seeing these issues getting addressed. 

Speaking of which, where can we see release notes and updates for the Square Register app? Otherwise how are we expected to know when and what issues are getting resolved? 

Thanks.

Message 1 of 29
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hi @square_marc, my name is Evan and I'm one of the product managers for Square Register. First, I want to thank you for sharing your feedback - it's very helpful for us to hear from sellers like you as we work improve Square Register. To address your feedback:

1. Itemized refunds - we're activiely working on supporting itemized refunds. You're correct that we only support itemized refunds on iPad, currently. I don't have an exact timeline to share, but keep an eye out for itemized refunds on Register soon! 
  2. Sales reporting - we're aware of these limitations with sales reporting. We're not actively working on adding this support, but it is functionality we plan on adding in the near future.
  3. Emoji support - we're also aware of the lack of emoji support on Register. We're not acitvely working on adding emoji support at the moment, but it is somthing we'll address. 
  4. Release notes - we're working on publishing a release notes blog on the Seller Community, where we'll update release notes as Register software updates are released, about every three weeks. The release notes blog will be coming very shortly - please stay tuned! 

Again, thank you for your feedback. Please post additional feedback as you think of improvements you want to see - we'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

-Evan

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Square

Yes, that makes sense with lots of SKUs! USB keyboards are supported. 

Message 22 of 29
Super Seller Alumni

Being able to attach a keyboard, either USB or Bluetooth, is something I've asked about before.  The agent I was talking with seemed surprised that anyone would want to do it, and asked me why I wanted to.  Apparently I'm just a dinosaur who's much more comfortable being able to type on a keyboard than on a screen.

Judy T Shumway
Message 23 of 29

While I thank Square for the truthful answer, it does cause me to question the higher processing fee on the Square Register. While understand it may be a higher fee because the tech is newer. But my issue isn't the tech. It's the software. Processing CC's through iOS comes with a rate of 2.75%. Using the register we get charged 2.5% + .10¢. Which is significantly more. For instance, the tax rate where my business is located 9.5%. The cheapest item I sell is $1.50. Tax on that is .14¢, equaling $1.64. Processing a credit card transaction of $1.64 through iOS (2.7%) the fee is .04¢. Processing that transaction through the Square Register (2.5% + .10¢) the fee is .14¢...that's equal to the tax of the purchase. 

Any transaction under $40 is costing me more in fees than if I had stuck with a iPad, Square Stand, and a Chip Reader. It doesn't sound like much, but at my shop I do a lot of sales under $40, throughout the day, every day, and it adds up. It really wouldn't bother me as much if the software that shipped with the new register was as fully featured as the iOS route I gave up to use it. 

Message 24 of 29
Alumni

Hi @CDZap - Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. A number of merchants have brought up similar points about the pricing structure. I'm linking you to an answer our product marketing manager responded with in our Live Q&A on Square Register on pricing structure a few weeks back. It's pretty comprehensive, so I encourage you to check it out. 

Message 25 of 29

Any info on when the update for New Square Register to activate Bluetooth functionality? It’s been 7 months since mentioned in the previous post?

Message 26 of 29
Admin

@TonyScoots No updates yet but the Register team is still working on this.

Are you interested in connecting specific hardware via bluethooth? If you can share a bit more about how it would help your business that would be really helpful. For example, you already have bluetooth hardware/you're trying to reduce wires on the countertop? Or both? 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 27 of 29

Yes I already have Bluetooth hardware, I have 4 Bluetooth printers at 4 back room stations, I just feel that using a Ethernet printer is 1990’s technology. I still find it very hard to believet hat the Square development team overlooked this in there final software design. So my only solution to this problem is to buy 4 new Ethernet printer that are about $150-$200 each and have them installed professionally so no wires are exposed. All this just to wait for a software update to activate Bluetooth 

Message 28 of 29
Admin

Thank you for your reply, I've shared this with the Register team -- it's really useful information for that team! 

Unfortunately we can't share timelines in the Community but as mentioned bluetooth-printer compatibility is on the long-term roadmap. We'll let you know here when we have any updates.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 29 of 29