x
Beta Member

Square app goes Offline

I have a mobile business with contactless reader. I noticed that when square app left open for next sale, and after some 10 mins of inactivity the app goes OFFLINE, I can see red banner. Though, the mobile internet is strong, and all apps are working properly.

I have to close and open the app, or turn mobile internet OFF and ON, to work, very annoying. I noticed that if the phone connected to power line, this does not happen. I restareted the phone, logOFF/ON, uninstall/reinstall, even reset the phone to factory default, nothing helped.

I wonder if there is a solution to this, or developers might consider this case.

Lg g6, android 9.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Able Welcome to the Seller Community and I'm really sorry to hear the frustration regarding this. So, just to be clear, you are connecting to the internet off of a personal hotspot and that is when it's going into offline mode? It sounds like when you connect to general wifi the app doesn't disconnect?

Also, are you able to tell me what software version your iPad is on?

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 6
Beta Member

I have a contactless reader, not a terminal.

I have Lg g6, android 9.

Problem: When the app left open for next sale, after some 10 min of inactivity, the square app, POS, goes to offline mode automatically (when I am on road with mobile data).

Message 3 of 6

That definitely should not be happening. The app will only go into offline mode if the internet connection is stopped. I know you stated the hotspot/tablet is able to connect to other things like internet browsing, but I'm curious if the app disconnects from the internet because of the inactivity. My hotspot on my phone used to do the same thing.

If you close the app after use, does it disconnect from the hotspot and go into offline mode?

AshleyK
Message 4 of 6
Beta Member

Thanks Ashleyk,

I have a phone and a Square Reader for Contactless and Chip. 

I do not have/use hotspot. My mobile phone connects to mobile internet, and the reader connects to phone by bluetooth. Reader connects to phone perfectly, no problem.

If I leave the the Square app on my phone open for next sale,

After 4 min inactivity, it is ok, square app is still online

After 15 min of inactivity, square app goes offline by itself, while browser (or other apps) connects to internet properly.

Message 5 of 6

@Able that definitely sounds like a bug. I would encourage you to contact our Customer Success Team and have them file a ticket with engineering so they can look at the diagnostics of your app. 

As a temporary workaround, if you have another device, I would recommend using that. If you run into any problems or have any other questions, please let me know!

AshleyK
Message 6 of 6