x
Highlighted

Square for Retail: Adding a store credit to a customer

Has there been an update to the Square retail app or gonna be in the future to add a store credit to a customers profile on it? It would so be helpful.

Message 1 of 133
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Square

Re: Adding a store credit to a customer on Square Retail app

Best Answer

Hi @hellomodest15

No update on this as of right now. Saving store credit to a customer would definitely be a helpful feature (especially during the holiday season). 

I've seen a few sellers use Square Gift Cards to issue store credit as a workaround. 

I'll be sure to let our Retail Team know that this is something you'd like to see in the future. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 133
132 REPLIES 132
Highlighted
Square

Best Answer

Hi @hellomodest15

No update on this as of right now. Saving store credit to a customer would definitely be a helpful feature (especially during the holiday season). 

I've seen a few sellers use Square Gift Cards to issue store credit as a workaround. 

I'll be sure to let our Retail Team know that this is something you'd like to see in the future. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 133
Highlighted

Thank you! 

Message 3 of 133
Highlighted

You can add my voice to the chorus requesting a customer credit feature. Issuing gift cards as a form of store credit is awkward, expensive for me, and results in frustrated customers should they lose the card.

This last point is very important. Whereas losing a gift card purchased with cash or received as a gift can be frustrating, I feel that is something most people can take in stride. In their mind, it's as if they lost some actual cash. That's not usually something they'd get mad at my business for.

In contrast, losing a gift card loaded with store credit makes a customer feel ripped off. Store credit is often given for refunds or trade-ins. In other words, that's money the customer has already given our business. We owe them this value. Asking the customer to be responsible for keeping track of this money doesn't come across as good customer service, and not being able to easily recover their credit seems scummy.

Cynic Time: Of course, adding customer credit accounts would reduce gift card sales, which I'm sure Square and/or eCard Systems aren't keen on. So something tells me this feature might not be seen as high priority. 😕

Message 4 of 133
Highlighted

How is this the BEST answer...it's not an answer, it's a diversion to a different feature. We need STORE CREDIT options now.

Message 5 of 133
Highlighted

Add me to the list of folks that would benefit from this feature... I have customers that also like to 'prepay' for products that they know they will be needing in the future. I also have customers that "pay it forward" for other customers as a sort of 'donation' that this feature would help me manage.  

Message 6 of 133
Highlighted

Any update yet? I have tons of customers that pay extra and tell me to apply to The Next service....very difficult to track have to use excel when we should be able to just input it right into the transaction as a customer credit blank is an item or a Rewards. Should not be very difficult to code. As it could start out as a manual gift card option

Message 7 of 133
Highlighted

How is this not a thing yet? 

Message 8 of 133
Highlighted
Admin

Hi @Alexlaawson! Welcome to the Community.

We're sorry this feature hasn't been implemented yet.

Our Product Team is tracking requests and you can read more about how a feature request works here if you're interested!

Hopefully this will be something to come in future improvements!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 133
Highlighted

HOwdy folks, it appears that this question has been asked repeatedly for at least the last year wiht he same response of using gift cards as a workaround for adding credit to a customer's account. That erally is not the same at all. Has ANYTHING been accompolished on this front given teh extremely relevant nature of the need and the ongoing interest in having this option?? Who ever heard of a POS system without a customer credit option?? Updates?? Progress? potential delivery date??

Thanks for any info on this ( other than try using the gift card work around (<: ).

Dan

Message 10 of 133