x
Beta Member

Square should enable Tap to Pay directly on iPhone

4E689EEE-517D-4C43-87FA-D8C8E4E7A579.jpeg

So Apple has announced this very cool new feature where it will let you accept Payments directly on an iPhone! However, Apple said this isn't something that happens automatically, and will have to rely on third parties like Square to enable the feature. With that being said, since they are calling you guys out by name......Please enable the feature! 

Message 1 of 14
1 Best Answer
Admin

Message 12 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Super Seller

Apple Tap To Pay is from iPhone to iPhone and they use Stripe as the payment processor

Customers can pay you with Apple Pay, Google Pay, NFC, and tap and chip cards when you use the Square contactless and chip reader.

René

Life is too short to eat boring cheese.
Message 2 of 14
Super Seller

I have many customers pay just by holding their iPhone over my Square Register. This is super easy, and Square already has the hardware options to help you do this @Redlight2015 

I think the iPhone to iPhone is maybe like using PayPal or Venmo where a person is getting paid a few times a week or something less frequent than a business running many transaction a day. I don't know if using this would give you all the reporting features you can get in your Square Dashboard.

Message 3 of 14
Super Seller

There are times that our employees stationed at our two Square Stands are checking out customers, with other customers waiting in line. 

I have to tell customers it will only be a minute. 

It would be nice to be able to pull out my iPhone with Square for Retail and ring up a customer without a dedicated reader. 

Message 4 of 14
Beta Member

Stripe is only one of the third parties that said they will offer integration. They said anyone can use this API to enable the feature, including Square. 

It is not just iPhone to iPhone as they show an example with contactless cards as well. 

Message 5 of 14
Beta Member

I believe Stripe is the first company to jump on board, along with a Shopify integration that still uses Stripe backend (Shopify Payments…unless they use Wells Fargo now). I think Square is pulling an Apple; they want to wait to see how it pans out and make sure they get it right. Wish they’d at least put it in beta, and I really hope they don’t ignore it altogether.

Message 6 of 14
Beta Member

I second this. Square should absolutely be on board. Simply insisting on using the chip/tap hardware defeats the purpose of Apple opening NFC payments up to payment processors, and it expands their market. Think of all the mobile use cases where the seller doesn’t want

to be bothered with losing hardware,

hardware disconnects, batteries dying, etc. Barbers, notaries, personal trainers, etc would love this. Plus, merchants don’t have to use it, they can still use the hardware they’ve already purchased.

Message 7 of 14
Beta Member

It is in beta to be supported... no hardware but iphone.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/7786-get-started-with-tap-to-pay-on-iphone

Message 8 of 14
Square Community Moderator

@pettytheft is correct! This is currently being tested and I have to say when I saw the demo I got so excited about this feature. Stay tuned for more updates @Redlight2015

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 14
Super Seller

I ask all my customers at my Farmers' Markets if they want to use it but 95% have no idea what it is and does?

Apple needs badly to do much more to promote it.

René

Message 10 of 14
Beta Member

I speaking to customer services today - there are no plans to release this feature any time soon as a standard option - Beta apps for now 

Message 11 of 14
Admin

Message 12 of 14

Hello I'm new here, I have enable to Tap to Pay but finding it's not reading the cards properly. Funny thing is if I remove the card too quickly it warns me it wasn't able to read the card properly. Anyone else run into this? 

Message 13 of 14
Super Seller

@SantiagoPerezAr It all depends on the credit card American Express Tap/chip cards are notoriously poor when it come to Tap

The fasted for tap is Apple Pay, tap cards need to stay on longer. I always have my square tap/chip reader with to help those without a tap card or Amex users

René

Message 14 of 14