x

Squares app not working on Samsung

The Square app hasn't been working on my Samsung since Friday. Just wondering how long this issue is going to take to fix?? Ive called 3 times and heard nothing.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Hi. I was using my Samsung A90 5G with the Square Card reader and it was working fine, until I broke my phone screen. As the phone was being repaired I was using the card reader on a borrowed Samsung S7, again working fine. 

I got my Samsung A90 5G back and now it just says device not supported every time the reader tries to make a secure connection. I can pair the phone with the reader on my phones Bluetooth pairing screen but the Square app still won't say reader connected.

I'm a mobile business working from a motorcycle and don't want to take my Samsung Tab A with me, which will connect the reader. 

I've also tried downloading the beta version of the Square app. 

Really need this to work. 

Message 2 of 11
Admin

Hi @Barney,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear you're having trouble with your reader. First off you'll want to avoid trying to connect the reader via the bluetooth settings on your phone. Can you try the following steps and if it still won't connect, post a screenshot of the error you're seeing?

1. Forget the reader in Square card reader settings on the POS app
2. Forget the reader in iOS bluetooth settings
3. Perform a hard reset (hold the button on the reader for 20-30 seconds until the lights STOP flashing red)
4. Force-quit Square Point of Sale
5. Relaunch Square Point of Sale
6. Pair the reader again via the Square POS app - Settings > Card Readers > Connect a Reader

You can also try calling out team on 1800 760 137 - they'll be able to have a bit of a better look into your operating environment and troubleshoot accordingly.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 3 of 11

Hi @Seamus,

Funny thing, as I couldn't get the reader working on the phone, I took my Samsung Tab A to work as I had the reader working with that at home. On the road I couldn't get it to work with the Tab A. But that might be a mobile data issue with the Tab A, but I degress. 

I'll point out the Samsung A90 5G I have is an Android device. 

Unpaired from phone, force quit the Square app, hard reset of reader. Relaunch app, pair reader through app, reader paired, device not supported. On the settings screen the reader is listed as failed. I have screen shots but can't post them to this page. 

Thanks for your help I'll call the number you supplied. 

PS. The reader works again at Home with my Tab A. I'll try it on the road again. 

Message 4 of 11
Admin

Hey @Barney,

Your Samsung tablet may not be working on the go if it isn't connected to the internet - you could try hot-spotting your phone to the tablet to connect it to the internet on the go!

Have any apps that control the screen been installed on your app at all? Something else to check is if screen overlay is turned off on apps. I have a guide to doing this for the S8, hopefully it's not too dissimilar from your device.

Get in touch with our team in any case and they can look into it further!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 5 of 11

Hi @Seamus. When I got home I tried the Tab A and it worked. On the road this morning and I turned off Bluetooth on my phone and the reader worked with the Tab

I've also been on the phone to Matt from support this morning, and apparently there is an issue with the software on some Samsung devices. Matt says it should be resolved in a day or two, I'll get an email confirming the fix, and we should be good to go. 

Thanks again for your help! 

Barney 

Message 6 of 11
Admin

Good to hear you got in touch with support @Barney, let us know if you have any other questions!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 7 of 11

This all started happening to my square when i updated my phone on Sunday, and i have called everyday to see whats happening but no one seems to know. Theyve told me there is a bug through the Android app. 

Message 8 of 11
Admin

Hi @Ebony277,

I checked and it looks like our engineering team are currently working on a fix for an issue impacting a small number of Samsung devices. If you've been in touch with support hopefully they will let you know once this issue has been resolved, otherwise I'll ping you in this thread when I hear a fix has been released.

It sounds like you may be impacted by this issue, but I should also note that there are other reasons a reader may not connect to a Samsung phone, such as apps or settings on the device that can interfere with our ability to form a secure connection with the device. I'll report back as soon as I hear anything!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 9 of 11
Admin

Hi @Ebony277,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear you're having trouble using the Square app.

Are you able to let me know a little more about the issue? Eg is the app opening? Is the reader connecting?  What exactly is going wrong, are you seeing any error messages when you're using the app?

If you can let me know a little more I can do my best to help, otherwise you can call our support team on 1800 760 137 - have you previously spoken to them about the issue when you've called?

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 10 of 11

There is a bug through the app on the Android. I have called and spoken to someone 3 times but it's still not fixed

Message 11 of 11