x

TIPS on ecards

HELP!  I just today realized that when my customer put a 20.00 tip on his ecard that it appears to work and printed a receipt fine.  After checking the transactions, I found that it DID NOT in fact take the tip off of the card..... I am horrified that this may have been happening with all my giftcard and I've been loosing lots of money in tips.  Please tell me this is not how it works.....😤

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Square Community Moderator

Hi @katherine1 👋

Thanks for writing back in to the Seller Community with this question. 

When a customer pays using a gift card, the total, including the tip, will be deducted from the gift card balance. To see the detailed breakdown, locate the sale in your transactions list. Then, click on the sale and then the digital receipt link, which will be highlighted in blue. You'll be able to see the full breakdown of what was purchased, including applicable taxes and tips (these are listed last) and finally, the remainder of the gift card balance. 

Please let us know how you go!

Message 2 of 15

I'll try to explain this again....

THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING!!!  WHY IS SQUARE NOT FIXING THIS?  I have other problems with tipping that everyone should be aware of.  I am trying to post it because as of now I am not allowing tipping of gift cards until it's fixed.  CASH TIPS ONLY.  UGH!    Not ideal....  

The recent problem I am seeing now is:

A customer comes in and buys lunch with the gift card or an ecard, and they don't use the whole thing, but they do put a tip on the gift card. We give them a receipt with the remaining balance noted on the receipt.  It looks perfectly accurate, however, after lunch they stroll into my gift shop and buy some merchandise with the remaining balance on the card.  Low and behold they have an extra $19.74 on the card which is the exact amount of the past tip..... ya think we have a problem???  yes, I generate a report at the end of the day and I pay out my employees tips and then I find out I've given my customer the 19.74 to use on merchandise.  From what I see it only happens if it is the same day, but it shouldn't happen at all.  THIS IS A BUG and needs to be fixed SQUARE!!!  

Message 3 of 15

Hi @katherine1 - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community. 

Firstly, I'd like to make sure you've seen our Community Etiquette Guidelines. We ask our members to not post the same message in multiple places, as it is not productive, and I noticed you have posted about this topic on multiple threads.

With that being said, we reached out to the Gift Cards Product Team for some insight on this. They let us know, " We have heard this request before. Unfortunately, right now with the way our payment flow works, there isn’t an established way for us to be able to essentially create a split tender payment at the tipping stage (essentially for us to enable this, we would have to ask for the buyer’s credit card after they enter their tip if the gift card amount doesn’t cover it). This is a pretty heavy lift and not something the team has currently prioritized. We can consider doing it, but this would take quite some time to build out and implement."

Ultimately, this is classified as a feature request, not a "bug". To learn more about how feature requests work, please see this post from one of our Seller Community Moderators. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on this one 😔 but should anything change, we'll be sure to keep our Sellers in the know!

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 15

Thank you for the reply, but I am not seeing that you understand the issue I am having which is not what the other threads are about.  I would love to talk with you directly about exactly what is happening.  Could you please call me direct?  I am talking about gift cards that have enough money on them to include the tip! 

Message 5 of 15

This sound good, but in reality.  When someone tips on the card.  The tip is not deducted from the gift card until the next day.  So if the customer decides to purchase more items before leaving to use up the gift card.  The left over amount PLUS the previous tip will be on the card to use.  This is a bug I just recently found.  I have been trying to get help but have no resolution from the square team.?!? Its very frustrating because I am loosing money every time this happen.  The tip still goes into my report and is paid out to my employees but then it also get used by my customer.  Please give me an answer to this problem!

Message 6 of 15

Hi @katherine1

I put in a request with the team to see if there is any information on this. Teams are limited on the weekend, though, and I may not receive a reply until after the weekend. 

I will let you know as soon as I hear back from them. Thanks in advance for your patience.

Message 7 of 15

This is so lame, that it has not been fixed yet in all these years.  If the gift card gets used in full, the tip % is based on the remaining balance only?  Also, the tip does NOT in fact actually get taken off the card until the next day, so if the customer does not use the whole balance on the card and decides to come back before leaving that day.... the balance is larger than the receipt says by the exact amount of the tip.  This is crazy and why does no one at square care and try to help me figure this out?  I AM LOSING MONEY EVERYTIME THIS HAPPENS!!!!

Message 8 of 15

THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING!!!  WHY IS SQUARE NOT FIXING THIS?  I have other problems with tipping that everyone should be aware of.  I am trying to post it because as of now I am not allowing tipping of gift cards until it's fixed.  CASH TIPS ONLY.  UGH!    Not ideal....  

The recent problem I am seeing now is:

A customer comes in and buys lunch with the gift card or an ecard, and they don't use the whole thing, but they do put a tip on the gift card. We give them a receipt with the remaining balance noted on the receipt.  It looks perfectly accurate, however, after lunch they stroll into my gift shop and buy some merchandise with the remaining balance on the card.  Low and behold they have an extra $19.74 on the card which is the exact amount of the past tip..... ya think we have a problem???  yes, I generate a report at the end of the day and I pay out my employees tips and then I find out I've given my customer the 19.74 to use on merchandise.  From what I see it only happens if it is the same day, but it shouldn't happen at all.  THIS IS A BUG and needs to be fixed SQUARE!!!  When will someone help me?  

Message 9 of 15

I agree and feel

for you!!! It’s unacceptable that Square has allowed this to continue FOR YEARSSSS!

Message 10 of 15

How have you fixed the problem in your business after all this time?  I am floored that there is not more threads about this?

Message 11 of 15

It’s mortifying. I have to tell my customer there is a glitch and have them tip separately. I create a separate sale for a misc item using the keypad function. It’s a bookkeeping nightmare though 

Message 12 of 15

I’ve just switched to PAPER gift certificates (so unprofessional) because squares gift cards are a wreck and they will never fix this. 

Message 13 of 15

Hi @SMW & @katherine1

Thank you both for voicing your feedback. I put in a request with the team to see if there is any new information on this. Teams are limited on the weekend, though, and I may not receive a reply until after the weekend. 

I will post here as soon as I hear back from them

Message 14 of 15

I am still waiting to hear back from Square on this issue.  It actually is bigger that the issue with the tipping percentage.  There are multiple problems that people need to be aware of with the gift cards and tipping.  I have explained my issues numerous times in other threads and I still get the same response which is not about the problems I am having.   I am now just telling customers that they can't put tips on Gift cards period, therefore leaving them to tip cash only, if they want to.  I can't take the risk of loosing money every time this happens.  I am very surprised with a system like square that the engineers can't come up with a solution.  The last I heard was that I have a case # and they would look into it.....

crickets.

Message 15 of 15