x

Track member visits as customers

We are a museum with members. We don't charge members admission, but would like to know how frequently each member family visits. I uploaded our member list into the customer directory and was thinking that we could link those $0 sales to individual members. However, will I be able to get a report of those individual's visits, or does Square just aggregate the data? Not worth it if I can't see that one family visits frequently and another family hasn't visited in a while.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Square

You can track every time a member visits by simply adding their customer profile to a $0 cash sale. All sales that your customer is added to will display in your Customer Directory allowing you to total the number of visits! 

If you have Customer Management turned on in the Square app, you can track your customer’s purchase histories, select an existing customer from your directory and link them to a sale.

1. On a tablet, tap the drop-down arrow in the upper-right > Add Customer. If you’re using the Square app on a smartphone, tapCurrent Sale > drop-down arrow > Add Customer.
  2. Start typing your customer’s name in the search bar and tap their name when it appears.
  3. Complete the transaction by processing your customer’s payment.

If you’ve completed a sale and haven’t yet tapped New Sale, you can still add your customer’s contact information. To do so:

1. From the receipts screen, tap the customer icon in the upper-left.
  2. Enter your customer’s information > tap Save.
Message 2 of 12

We are a non-profit co-operative that also has members and have to track each member's purchases through out the year.  We run a cafe and time and convience is important to our customers, so trying to add a customer to each sale is time consuming when we have to search our customer list.  Is there a way to assign customer numbers and then utilize the card reader to have membership cards with mag strips?

Message 3 of 12
Square Community Moderator

@TBA_Co-op That's not a feature that's available at this time, but it's an interesting idea. You're able to search the customer by name and it should pop up quickly during the sale.

Another solution would be to add the customer to the payment after the sale itself. This allows you to get them checked out and on their way while still tracking them with your customer directory. 

Message 4 of 12

@EJ_

Trying to add customers during a rush either before or after is a lost in time for us, we will continue to simply search by name.  Thanks for the response and I look forward to seeing a upgrade.  

I have almost 2 decades of retail experience and have used many different POS systems and I am always telling every small business owner to switch to Square, it simply is the best. I have noticed though that Square seems at times a little too simplified or behind the curve of most POS systems.  I have always been able to wait and Square is always improving the system, which is one of the reasons I continue to recommend Square. Does Square utilize any beta testers who have experience in POS systems for feedback or improvement sugestions? Or do you rely on user feedback? Thanks for all the work all of you @ Square are doing.

Message 5 of 12
Square Community Moderator

@TBA_Co-op Seller advocacy is one of the biggest drivers or product updates with Square, so your feedback is absolutely heard and encouraged!

We send all feedback and feature requests directly to our Product Team. There are a few members of our Product Team that actively post in the Seller Community when something interesting comes up. 

Check out this existing thread about how feature requests work: 

Feature Requests & the Seller Community

Message 6 of 12

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Membership

Children’s museum. Members pay one fee to gain access to museum for a year? Can I track how many times a member returns in the year? Is a $0 item the best way to do that and can I attach it to a customer? 

Message 7 of 12
Admin

@LCM You are absolutely on the right track with the $0 cash sale. I moved your question to this thread so you can check out Kelly's step by step instructions above. She walks through how you can track your yearly memberships.

I hope this helps!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 8 of 12

I have had to create an item under a category for all of our members in order to track all who come. Adding a customer only allows me to record one person attending. Sometimes a family comes in with 2 people and other times that same family comes in with 6 people. I need to accurately record how many people are coming (and, specifically, which people - recorded by name) each time. I currently have to scroll through hundreds of categories to get to their category (or, yes, I can search if I know how to spell their name.) This works to get me the basic information that I need, but then when I need to run monthly reports, I need to manually look through the numbers to pull out the information that I don't need (which is different all of the time.)
If customers could be listed by last name and then sub-categories could be the member's first names, that would be a start. This does not seem to be the right kind of POS for membership organizations.

Message 9 of 12
Beta Member

@BCM53913 Pintuna is a Square partner and we offer a membership app that would enable you to capture member check-in information.

That should help significantly reduce the time you spend with the above operation. Happy to demo the solution, if interested please reach out to us at sales@pintuna.com. Thx

Message 10 of 12
Beta Member

Hi all in case this is still a need for you please let me know.

My name is Dan I've worked in point of sale and payments for 7+ years and developed a software to help retail businesses leverage subscriptions.  It's called Submatic (https://www.submatic.io/).

We have an integration with Square that automates discounts and benefits based on the rules that you configure.  For example you can create a membership which entitles the member to a discount.  You can optionally use a physical card to track members.  Our software handles the subscription billing (via Square payments) and tracks and communicates the membership benefits with Square so that you don't have to do anything manually.

If you're interested in getting more info or checking out a trial let me know.  You can send me a direct message here on the forum, just hover your mouse over my username and then click "Send Message". Thanks

Message 11 of 12
Beta Member

Message 12 of 12