x

Unemployment Question

My business in located in California.  We have had to furlough all of our employees and they are now on unemployment.  

My questions is, we would like to bring one of our employees back for one day a week for 3 hours that one day.  Would that have any effect on him receiving his unemployment benefits if he is to work that little amount?  We want him to retain his benefits, and don't want to pay him under the table.

Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey @GroveandBaker,

This would be something you'd need to reach out to unemployment agencies about as we aren't professionals in that here. 

@nika provided some resources above too that may be helpful.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Thanks for your question @1chuck2chuck.

It would be best to reach out to the CA Employment Development Department to get help with specific unemployment-related questions. Also check out these COVID-19 FAQs- specifically, “Are benefits available if my employer reduces my hours or shuts down operations due to impacts of the coronavirus?”

I hope these resources help you out.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 2 of 6

We stopped running payroll because our employee was no longer working when we were forced to close. Should we have continued using payroll entering $0 or 0 hours into payroll? Should I go back and enter that now to generate those reports?

She will most likely returning in August and her pay will pick up where she left off.

Message 3 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey @GroveandBaker,

This would be something you'd need to reach out to unemployment agencies about as we aren't professionals in that here. 

@nika provided some resources above too that may be helpful.

Ashley C
Message 4 of 6

This was actually a Payroll / workers comp related question. AP Intego / Sequoia  Insurance / Amtrust all have no reporting info from Square. However, in our History & Reports it shows $0 which is correct. There was no payroll since our temporary closure. Why has AP Intego not been forwarded the $0 payroll reporting? 

Message 5 of 6
Alumni

Not quite sure what's imported into Square's Payroll system from those platforms. That's a question better equipped for our Payroll Team. Reach out for clarity

@GroveandBaker

Justin
Message 6 of 6