x

Visa and AMEX gift cards keep getting declined

Over the last few days I've had customers bring in Visa and AMEX gift cards as payment. Both times, the cards were declined.

The balance on these cards wasn't enough to cover the entire transaction, which isn't unusual, of course. When that happened in the past, it would simply turn into a split tender where the remaining balance of the transaction is due, and a different form of payment is accepted to pay the total remaining balance. However, the last couple days the gift card is simply declined and I have to ask for a different form of payment.

I talked to a Square rep (Anthony) over the phone - he was very nice and helpful, but we haven't yet figured out why this is happening all of a sudden. Any other retailers having issues like this lately? Am I doing something wrong? Do gift cards issued by credit card companies just hate me? 🙂

Thanks!

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 32
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @pinwheelrecords — welcome to the seller community and thanks for bringing this up!

You're not doing anything wrong — a while back, there was a feature that would allow the seller to have visibility into how much money was needed to complete a sale in the event that there was not enough on the prepaid gift card to cover the entire cost. We received feedback that this caused confusion and increased a chance of a lost sale. For example, if the seller did not realize that the payment wasn't complete, the buyer could leave the store before addressing the issue.

For now, if your customer knows exactly how much is remaining on their prepaid gift card, you can still process a split tender payment by entering in the appropriate amount. I hope this helps make things a bit more clear.

Rest assured that I'll be sharing your experience with our Product Liaison team, who is always working to improve our products.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

This close to the holidays people are getting these visa logo gift cards, It 's not just one card that is getting declined and It is not the issuer of the card that is denying them. I have 2 Visa cards, verified with funds and verified by the issuer that they are not denying them that square is denying them.  I accepted the card on behalf of my long time customer as physical property due to the embarrassment of the situation but SQUARE needs to step up to the plate and remedy this situation.   

Message 22 of 32

Just want to add a work around that I have found on the pre paid visa and Amex cards.  Example:  card is worth $50.  Service cost was $49 so It should go through but doesn’t.  Work around, charge $39 on the card and a $10 gratuity.  I am not sure why It works this way but It does every time.  Also some cards have to be registered on the issuer site to be activated,these are visa rebate cards from like Comcast Internet etc. 

Message 23 of 32

A customer wanted to use a VISA gift card and a credit card. I got as far as finding how to charge a gift card for the first charge, but it wouldn't accept the 16-digit code on the card. Was I supposed to use the code under the scratch-off? Or both? 

Message 24 of 32
Admin

@SublimeFrench It should just be the main 16-digit code. I wonder if the customer had activated the gift card...

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 25 of 32

Could be… I entered the digits and swiped the card. No dice… and she ran down the block while I was attempting this so there was no discussion with her. 😆 thanks!

Message 26 of 32
Admin

No worries @SublimeFrench. Good luck!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 27 of 32

I agree that there needs to be some adjustment to the Gift Card issue. It's very frustrating, especially when there are lines of customers. Please advise.

Message 28 of 32

I am having the same issue and my customer is waiting to proceed

Message 29 of 32
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @montellogourmet

Square had a small glitch in the system affecting a small number of Sellers. It was fixed several minutes after being reported. If you are still confronting issues with payments constantly declining please let me know so I can look at this for you.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 30 of 32

Today, November 8th we had a gift card declined.  Card was active, had enough on hand (used at another location next door).  Seems the issue is still occuring.  Any solutions yet?

Message 31 of 32
Square Community Moderator

Hello @TRHA,

Thank you for letting us know, we had a glitch earlier this year but that has since been resolved. Have you had anybody else use gift cards before and had the same issue, was it just this one customer? Also what kind of gift card was it? 

Message 32 of 32