x
Beta Member

WHY can't we turn off auto-sending of receipts?

Why is it we cannot turn off the feature by which Square automatically sends a receipt to a customer if there is an email associated with their credit card?

We own two small chocolate shops around Madison, WI and this "feature" causes huge headaches for us.  I have fielded calls, emails, and numerous complaints from customers who bought a gift for their spouse/significant other, and when they made the purchase on their joint account, a receipt was automatically sent to their spouse/significant other, ruining the surprise of the gift and telling the person exactly what their gift is.

I have complained to Square and requested a setting by which you can say "Always prompt for receipt" but I find it unlikely they will make the change based solely on my request.  If you think this is an issue, please chime-in.  Have you had problems with this?  How hae you addressed them?  Have you figured out any workarounds (beyond using a different card/cash/check)?  Do you have any other thoughts?  Would you like Square to add this capability to turn the feature off?  Please let your voice be heard!

Message 1 of 112
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@Dan1, We had the auto send feature turned off on Square's server end on our account last year so it will always ask even if they already have an email address on file.  We called and it was specifically said it wasn't an option to do, but it is.

I'm not sure the process, I did it thru the guy who is in charge of the beta facebook program @Howard and within 5 minutes it was all working right.  @Chad@Kpay

I 100% agree that it should be by default to ask me what I want not assume I always want digital receipts.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 112
111 REPLIES 111

Hi Chad, 

Can you turn off these email notifications on my account too?

Message 22 of 112

@Chad I have a tour company and I have to add information to invoices that is not available at time of puchase. Could you please turn this off for me as well. It is so unporfessional to call the client and explain why are getting bombarded with receipts.

I have been using a method of sending the receipt to my email address rather than the customers then I forwarding the receipt so I can add information at a later date. Turning this off for me would save me a lot of time and frustration. Thank you.

Message 23 of 112

Hello @Feedback2016

I went to make the change on your account, but the setting was already applied. Just to be clear, this setting is for payments processed on the Point of Sale App.

Message 24 of 112

@Chad  Could you please also disable the auto receipt send feature at our ‘salvage’ location? 

It is confusing for for customers and then I have to click back through to tell them where their receipts went. 

Thank you! 

Message 25 of 112
Admin

@MSSalvageShop I've disabled this setting for you!

I'm sorry that automatic receipts are causing confusing for your customers, thanks for letting us know. I'll flag this to the Receipts team.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 26 of 112
Beta Member

I noticed this forum is a bit old but hoping I could have my auto receipts turned off too. I schedule my clients using services (many options)  but check them out using Items.  If I close their appointment @ $0 they get an unnecessary receipt in addition to their itemized receipt.

any help is greatly appreciated

Message 27 of 112
Beta Member

Chad - is there a way for you to disable on our account. I have a gift shop and I'm causing marital chaos with spouses receiving an automatic e-mail receipt. SOS!

Message 28 of 112

Hello - Can you disable on my account as well? I have people that are really fussy about getting emails that they perceive to be unnecessary.

Message 29 of 112
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community, @CapitolJJ 😊

It sounds like this is something that would need to be handled by the support team directly. Can you please reach out to our support team when you get a chance? 

Message 30 of 112

Hi Chad - I have the same issue with the automatic email receipt. Can you help me in getting this turned off.

Thank you, Tim

Message 31 of 112

Hi @tp1402,

Thanks for writing in to the the community, I noticed it's your first post, welcome to our community 👋

There isn't a way for us to automatically turn off email receipts, but your customers can disable this feature from their end via these steps, if they don't want to receive receipt emails anymore. 

Message 32 of 112

Hello Chad! I need the 'automatic receipt send' setting turned off for my shop. I'm creating unhappy customers who receive a receipt emailed automatically following purchase of gift. Can someone please reach out to me? I am currently on the phone with Square Support and Randy is unable to assist on this. Thank you! 

Message 33 of 112

Hi there @BlueBridgeGames,

Were you able to get assistance from phone support? If not, we can take a closer look.

We look forward to hearing from you, and welcome to the Seller Community! 

Ellie
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 34 of 112

Thank you, Ellie. Randy persisted and involved a tech and saw it through. The auto-send receipts has been disabled and I think I am all set at this time. Thank you very much for the message. 

Message 35 of 112

Hi @BlueBridgeGames,

So happy to hear that!

Ellie
Community Moderator, Square
Message 36 of 112

Hi Chad or anyone at Square who can help - I need the automatic receipts function turned off, also. I called customer service, and they said they'd turned it off, but my customers are still getting receipts. Thanks in advance!

Message 37 of 112

Hello @SaraAv

Welcome to our Seller Community! 

After taking a closer look into this for you, we found a workaround that may help since there is no way to turn off the feature of auto-sending receipts. In this case, your customer's opted into receiving automatic receipts, making this a process that needs to be stopped by them. 

If your customer provided their email address, they will automatically be sent a receipt to the address provided so that any time they make a subsequent purchase with a Square Seller their not asked to enter their email address every time. However, if they provided a phone number, they will need to manually choose to receive a receipt via text after each payment with a Square Seller. You can find more details on this feature here

As a workaround, you can choose to skip the receipt screen on the POS but that just asks the customer how they'd like to receive the receipt. Although this is not exactly what you are looking for, this may still be helpful. 

If you know of a specific customer who is requesting to unsubscribe from receiving automated receipts you can ask them to do the following: 

You can unsubscribe from automatic receipts by selecting Turn off automatic receipts from the footer of your emailed receipt. You can also choose to unsubscribe, or make any additional changes, via your Square Profile. 

To do so:

1. Click Manage Preferences at the bottom of any emailed receipt from Square.
  2. Under Email Preferences toggle off Receive automatic receipts to unsubscribe from all Square business’ receipts. To unsubscribe from a specific Square business’ receipts, scroll down to *Businesses visited, and toggle off receipts for individual business.

Hoping this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 38 of 112

Hi Sayra,

Thanks for your detailed response! I am sending invoices to my therapy clients, so I need to turn it off from my end. It is a HIPAA violation for these automated receipts to be sent, and I thought I understood that by turning them off, that my invoicing would be HIPAA compliant through Square. Can you please look into this further? If I can't turn these off, I'll have to look for another invoicing service.

Thanks so much,

Sara

Message 39 of 112

P.S. to Sayra - if you look at the rest of this thread, you'll see that customer service was able to turn off automated receipts for others requesting that. Thanks!

Message 40 of 112

Hi Chad - If you're still monitoring this thread, could you please disable the auto receipts feature on my account as well?  We had several complaints over Christmas related to auto receipts.  Thanks!

Message 41 of 112

Hello @HomeOnTheRange, you will no longer have automatic receipts. If you run into any issues please feel free to reach out to me. 🙂

Message 42 of 112