x
Super Seller

Ways to Improve search functionality

I'm using Square Register, Square Dashboard, Square for Retail, and a Square Website.

I've noticed Searching on any of them is painfully slow because it's populating items I'm not searching for. 

For example, I'm working on my website and it's impossible to look at only "Birthday Tiaras" because it will pull up all of the birthday tiaras and then all of the birthday items.

On other POS systems I've used if I search for "X Birthday Tiara" it would only show items that contain "X Birthday Tiara" in that order. IE it wouldn't show items that were named "XY Birthday Tiara".

My website is a constant work in progress and it's painful because on the "Site Items" Page it doesn't show things alphabetically, it shows items I don't need, and I can't see what categories an item is already attached to at a glance.

Fixes that I feel could save Sellers a LOT of time:

1. Exact Search so that we only see what we're looking for.

2. Allow in item editing of online categories/Visibility from SQUARE Item Database. (Site items is clunky and search features are lacking)

3. Show what categories an item is already under when on "Site Items" screen. Having to go into each item or category is extremely time consuming.

Thank you for your consideration.

www.PartyManiaBethesda.com
Please Require Customers to pick time/date at checkout for Square online. Thanks!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Beta Member

Hello @PartyManiaMD 

My client is also experiencing this behavior, specifically in the Square Online website editor while searching for item pages (I'm a website designer). When an exact item name is entered, search results are automatically populated with any of the search words entered. This is very frustrating. Isolating one item, among thousands of items and dozens of search results, is not practical. Editing / customizing individual item pages to improve engagement is very important.

Are there any settings that need attention to improve the search behavior in the online store editor?

Many thanks for any advice or direction.

~Susan J.

Susan J.
Square Online seller, website designer and artist
Message 2 of 3

Has there been any resolution on this item as far as anyone knows? The inability to limit a search with " " marks is a standard search engine functionality and the lack of this is a very real cause for concern off my website supported by Square/Weebly.

For instance, on my website (https://www.discerningreaders.com/) whether I search for society-first or "society-first" I get eight pages of worthless links. It is worthless because there are so many irrelevant pages supplied for "society-first". But if I just do a simple "site" search via Google (site://www.discerningreaders.com/ "society-first") I get back exactly the three pages on my site that have this exact phrase. I am wondering how many folks just search for something on the website and go away frustrated with--not me--but the search engine.

I submitted a question via e-mail and support replied that this was an SEO problem. I don't think so.

Cheers,

- Peter E.

Message 3 of 3