x
Beta Member

What's the smallest tablet that can be used with Square POS? (I'm looking to use the item grid)

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Smallest tablet that can use the POS layout

What's the smallest tablet that can be used with Square POS? Looking to use the item buttons, not just manual price entry/item look up. I've tried using it on the Samsung s10/Note 9, but you just get the keypad functionality and item lookup. I have an iPad mini, but wondering if there's anything smaller than that.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller

I have a Lenovo tab e7 that runs Square in tablet mode but I have never connected a reader to it to see if the Bluetooth can work, I've just used it for entering orders for saved tickets.  but it is probably about the same size as the iPad mini.

I'll try later hooking it up to a reader.  it was $49 brand new, but it is definitely not near as nice as an iPad mini and it runs Android Go which isn't for everyone.  but it gets the job done for entering tickets.

Message 2 of 7
Beta Member

Thanks for the response, I wish it could work on some of the larger "phablets", I wouldn't mind squinting a bit just to get a little more counter space.

Message 3 of 7
Super Seller Alumni

If you're looking to minimize counter space taken up by the hardware, I suggest you check out the Square Terminal.  It has a very small footprint and provides much of Square's functionality.

Judy T Shumway
Message 4 of 7
Beta Member

The processing rate on terminal is garbage and an iPod touch provides the same functionality, costs less, less processing free, and easily replaceable (terminal doesn't have the POS screen). Just suggestions for compact screens that can handle the POS screen please!

Message 5 of 7
Super Seller Alumni

Sorry - I didn't know all the restrictions you had.

Here's a link to a site where you can determine which devices are compatible with Square.  You'll have to go through them one by one, but it's doable.

Judy T Shumway
Message 6 of 7
Beta Member

Yeah, unfortunately that link doesn't show what devices default to the POS display vs. the keypad/manual library look up display.

Message 7 of 7