x

trouble with ipad, would a tablet be better?

We have been using square with an ipad at our small ice cream shop for a little over 2 years. At just over one year our ipad quit working and after several troubleshooting attempts failed to work, we took it to a store to see if it could be repaired. We were told it was not repairable. They also said that when using an ipad for something like square a year was a good amount of time to expect it to last. they also said that using the square stand is hard on ipads. We bought another ipad and this time did not leave it in the stand all the time. Still less than a year later it is starting to have some problems where it wont process payments even with a good internet connection and doing a few other odd things. We are considering going to an android tablet, but hate to make the investment if it's not any better. Does anyone have any advice?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Square

Hi @icecream, and so sorry to hear about the troubles with your iPad. I don't mean to play the devil's advocate here, but in my experience (worked as technician at an Apple Store for 4 years), iPads actually get less wear when being used inside a Square Stand. 

Would you mind sharing more details on the problems you are running into? Have you had any chance to try any troubleshooting steps yet? If so, which ones? 

I'd love to help you get up and running again with out spending a dime! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 5

The last ipad we had just kept shutting down every little bit and I can't remember what all we did. I took it to an apple store and talked with two other people who repaired ipads (not at a Apple store) and they all said the same thing. I had thought that using the stand would be better for it, but they didn't seem to think so.

This one we have now (it is wifi only) has recently started to say it is offline and will not connect or process payments even with a very good wifi signal. We have tried diferent networks and hotspots. We have run updates. We have turned it off and back on. Every once in a while it will connect and process payments, but there doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why. In the square app it will almost never load activity anymore. It's not as bad as what the last one was doing, but I'm afraid it will get worse instead of better

Message 3 of 5
Square

@icecream - It sounds like you could benefit from erasing your iPad, and then setting it up as a new device. They could help you with this at the Apple Store. Also, they outline this process here. Once set up as a new device, you can download the Square Register app again, and then sign back in using your existing account. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 4 of 5
Super Seller

I will definetly say that I believe that the ipads hold up great.  we have 7, some as old as an iPad 2, and they are in the horrible conditions of a greenhouse with high humidity and 100* plus temperatures.  The only reson I've ever had an issue with an iPad is because someone dropped it annd broke the screen.

I think the satnd is a lot less wear an tear.  

I also don't believe that most, if not all, android tablets are not made to the quality of an iPad.  So many are made by random no name companies and that's why they are $150.  There are some better samsung tablets.

Message 5 of 5