x
Beta Member

How are you managing inventory between online and store sales?

I have a bakery and it is a huge challenge to juggle online sales with phone/ live orders coming in to be sure we don't oversell.  The online store takes care of the inventory sell out, but my staff can easily oversell items we have limited inventory of.

How's everyone else juggling this?  A whiteboard/ tally sheet is getting challenging.

Anyone else crossing fingers we will be able to have a "sold out" notification popup on the register screen for items where stock in tracked?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Welcome back! 🥳 @lisasomerville

Take a look at this article on how to "Manage Stock in Square Online"When an item is purchased and the transaction has been fully completed, the system will remove the item from your stock/inventory. It should not allow customers to order online or your staff to choose the item on the POS if it's out of stock. Also, our "Basic Inventory Management" article can help you set up your items in your Dashboard to receive alerts for low-stock or sold-out items. 

Hope this helps!

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 2 of 4
Beta Member

I have used the inventory management system to track our sales for quite a while and it's very helpful.

The challenge that I'm having is that the Square register (and app for our 2nd register) will absolutely allow an employee to oversell items. 

For example: If we make say 50 cinnamon rolls for a day, and enter 50 cinnamon rolls in the item's inventory and someone orders 48 cinnamon rolls for an online order, the system will reduce the inventory and prevent the next online order from selling more than 2 cinnamon rolls.  The challenge is that my employee is able take an order for "x" number of cinnamon rolls when the inventory is at "0".  The inventory will then read "-x", which doesn't help my customer actually get the cinnamon rolls they want.

I understand the low stock alert will notify me via the dashboard but that is little help when I am not actively logged into the dashboard.

Message 3 of 4
Beta Member

We've noticed this, too.  Looks like you posted a while ago--has there been a fix that you know of?  We basically took most of our items off our online store because of this issue. 

Message 4 of 4