x
Beta Member

Does iPad print receipt without using the dock?

The service window of my food truck is a bit high to reach for customers. 

So my iPad is always in the dock inside the truck.  I enter the order (enter No Tips) and have the customer tap their card.

I tried to use the iPad out of the dock, and hand it to the customer but it does not connect to my printer. 

Is there a way to have my receipts printed ?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Alumni

Hey @Yolande - Happy to see a new face!

Back to your question - by 'dock', are you referring to the actual Stand the iPad sits in? If so, once your iPad is removed from it, your USB printer will no longer communicate to your device for receipt printing.  

It sounds like you're wanting a wifi/ethernet printer set up which allows your iPad to print receipts over a network signal. However, you might be restricted in setting up this type of configuration in a food truck, since you'll need to connect a LAN cable from the printer to an internet router.

For now, would your customers care to get a digital receipt as a workaround? 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4
Beta Member

Yes I meant the dock, the iPad stand which is quite heavy to lower it out of the serving window. It is not that the customer needs a copy, most actually don't. It is the order ticket for the kitchen that we need printed. I guess it is not possible from your answer. 

Just thought there might be an easier way to operate Square from a food truck. Thanks Justin!

Message 3 of 4
Alumni

No problem! I wish I had a better answer for you @Yolande - hardware setups are pretty tricky with food-trucks, as you're limited in space and network capabilities. 

Maybe connecting a Bluetooth printer to your iPad might work for your truck -  worth a shot!  

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4