x

Error message for Contactless + Chip Card reader, "Reader Damaged - Use a different reader"

The title of this thread was updated from its original title: “Anyone else in Canada already have their contactless chip reader stop working?”.

After waiting seemingly forever for debit/tap services in Canada, I was very excited about the recent launch of these services for Canadian merchants - ordered my reader immediately and received it last week.  Worked perfectly for about 3 days, now it won't pair and displays the "Reader Damaged - Use a different reader" message.  Seriously?  I babied this thing and followed all instructions to the tee - has anyone else had issues with hardware failure?  There is not a troubleshooting process I haven't tried, so I am left to assume that the device has indeed failed inside of a week.

Going through the return process is not something I have a lot of time for, and waiting another week or more is even a greater disruption now that I have advised all of our clients that we finally offer debit and tap services ... Square, please advise as to how I can fastrack a replacement for my new tap reader and dock.

Message 1 of 25
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @PurpleEssential

I am really sorry to hear about this. This message appears when the reader has been damaged, it can happen if the reader is dropped or mishandled during shipping. You will have to complete a warranty on this reader so we can replace it for you. 

If you need more help, please let me know. We can have a team member reach out by email ASAP. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

I havent used my reader in awhile and when I try to connect my contact less reader I get the error it's damaged and disconnects. Is there any troubleshooting for this? Or do I have to wait until they become available again and buy a new one? 

Message 22 of 25
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community, @Selfcarewithjen 

I'm really sorry to hear you are having trouble with your device. I moved your post over to this thread where other sellers have discussed a similar issue. When you have a chance, please check out the best answer pinned above, and make sure to complete the warranty claim process

Message 23 of 25

Brand new out of box!! i got the same message! I haven't been helped by SQUARE yet.... Sure hope so!

Message 24 of 25
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Karyn4u - I'm sorry to hear that this issue with your Contactless + Chip Reader has brought you to the Seller Community😥

If you haven't already, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here. Once you connect with our Support Team, they will be able to assist you further. The Contactless + Chip reader is covered by a  limited one-year warranty.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 25 of 25