x

How to pair Square reader to Bluetooth and then to Square app?

With difficulty I can pair my Square reader to Bluetooth on a device but then it won't connect in the Square app. What's the trick? It worked well a couple times and now it won't connect.. We've had the Square reader less than a week. It's charged and we've reset it numerous times..

Message 1 of 4
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @DLR it sounds like you are pairing your Contactless and Chip Reader to the bluetooth settings on your device and not in the Point of Sale app, which is what you need to do. 

Make sure you are pairing the reader in the Point of Sale app below, but only after you have unpaired it from bluetooth settings in your device.

1. Go to the Square app and tap the three horizontal lines.
  2. Tap Settings > Card Readers.
  3. Tap Connect a Reader.

There will be detailed instructions in-app that you can follow to complete the pairing, but just in case, theyโ€™re also listed below:

1. To put the reader into pairing mode, press the readerโ€™s power button for 3-10 seconds until you see 4 orange blinking lights.
  2. Immediately release your finger when you see these orange lights. If you see red lights, youโ€™ve held the button too long and you can try again. Do not let go of the power button until after the red lights have stopped flashing.

When the reader is connected, it will be listed as Reader Connected in the app and the readerโ€™s lights will turn green for 2 seconds. Keep in mind that the wireless connection can be lost if the reader and device are more than approximately 3 meters (10ft) apart.

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Best Answer

Hi @DLR it sounds like you are pairing your Contactless and Chip Reader to the bluetooth settings on your device and not in the Point of Sale app, which is what you need to do. 

Make sure you are pairing the reader in the Point of Sale app below, but only after you have unpaired it from bluetooth settings in your device.

1. Go to the Square app and tap the three horizontal lines.
  2. Tap Settings > Card Readers.
  3. Tap Connect a Reader.

There will be detailed instructions in-app that you can follow to complete the pairing, but just in case, theyโ€™re also listed below:

1. To put the reader into pairing mode, press the readerโ€™s power button for 3-10 seconds until you see 4 orange blinking lights.
  2. Immediately release your finger when you see these orange lights. If you see red lights, youโ€™ve held the button too long and you can try again. Do not let go of the power button until after the red lights have stopped flashing.

When the reader is connected, it will be listed as Reader Connected in the app and the readerโ€™s lights will turn green for 2 seconds. Keep in mind that the wireless connection can be lost if the reader and device are more than approximately 3 meters (10ft) apart.

AshleyK
Message 2 of 4

Thank you very much for replying to my dilemma.. I think I'm getting it figured out. Thanks again!

Message 3 of 4

Anytime! I'm happy I could help!

AshleyK
Message 4 of 4