x
Admin

Do you have a seasonal business? ☀️❄️

Hi, everyone! How many of you have a business that is seasonal? During which months do you operate, and what do you do during the off-season?

Elisabeth (she/they)
Join a Group to connect with other business owners like you!
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

Hi everyone!

Although self-care should be all year around, I find that my busy times are beginning of summer (with waxing as my top seller). I've owned my suite without a full time job for over a year now and the rollercoaster of no clients to too many clients is a tough ride. Being a service-based business, I feel as if I have to sell myself as well as my services so there is never nothing to do. I applaud all small business' for taking the chance anyway and running with it!

Message 22 of 32

We are seasonal. We run a  boutique style plant nursery and art gallery. We open the first week of March and stay open until mid-day Christmas Eve. 

We are halfway into our 3rd year, so far every "break" has been spent performing foundational work for the next year. This past winter we were in the Northwest Flower and Garden show, where we took a gold medal and People's Choice (our first time in!!!). Getting ready for that show was a brutal 2 month process but clearly paid off. Our business is established enough now that this coming winter break I'll have my hind end planted in the beautiful sandy beaches of Costa Rica for a couple of weeks!

Message 23 of 32
Admin

Wow, congrats on the gold medal @CrazyHill_GNB, that is awesome! Would love to see photos of your nursery and gallery!

Elisabeth (she/they)
Join a Group to connect with other business owners like you!
Message 24 of 32
Beta Member

As a performing musician, I have basically two seasons: Summer and Winter, in the years before we were all forced inside, I was busy year-round. Now that things are so expensive, and many of my private party clients aren't throwing events as they used to. I don't see the signs of a return to having me come play to celebrate other events like birthdays, retirements, open houses, or client appreciation parties, in the near future, but I'll try to stay hopeful.

Ava Lemert
The Singing Saxstress™
http://AvaLemert.com
Follow Me on Spotify! http://bit.ly/avalmusic
Message 25 of 32
Super Seller

No to seasonal, but during certain times of the year it can be slow or swamped depending on when people take there seasonal vacations away for the summer or winters. Really no rhyme or reason in my line of work. 

Ryan Anton Schaffer RMT
www.reginamassagetherapist.com
Message 26 of 32
Beta Member

Seasonal businesses can be managed three ways:

1. Just make hay while the sun shines (Farmer Method)

2. Earn extra during the up times so you have enough during the down times. (Squirrel Method)

3. Set your business up so that when one area of your business is slow, another is hot. (Diversity Method)

Like Landscapers -- busy with planting and whatnot in warmer months and converting to a focus on snow plowing, salt spreading, etc..., you've instantly developed a complementary reason to buy your goods and use your services in an off season. What if it doesn't snow? Add seasonally specific services like raking leaves, putting up people's Christmas outdoor decorations, doing hardscape work or offering cleaning services.

The typical "up-time" in my business is when people have their boats on the water and golf clubs on the tee box. But, by changing the seasonal focus from summery things, to more cold weather things, I find a reasons for my customers to continue to use my products while gathering around a firepit, attending a tailgate party, ice fishing, etc...

Above it all, don't ever let your business be a victim of the seasons, unless you want it that way.

I was once told the definition of marketing is "Find a need an fill it." That's really the solution to many aspects of business, especially invention. When I can help my customers identify an off-season need they might not realize they have, that's when I'm successful. 

Message 27 of 32

Yes.  We operate a driving range and mini-golf facility that is open from early spring through late fall depending upon the weather.  We do offer e-gift cards online that get some activity especially at the holidays.

Message 28 of 32

I love this topic! Yes, my business is seasonal. We're primarily a Renaissance Festival vendor. We have shops at 5 Renaissance festivals- 2 in Texas, one in Michigan, Minnesota, and Colorado, the Colorado Renaissance Festival being our home faire. We operate from the first weekend in April to the weekend after Thanksgiving, so April to November. We manufacture 2 lines of artisanal quality leather accessories, one for Renaissance festival costumes, and one for modern wear. In the off season, we concentrate on new product designs (everything we manufacture is proprietary to us) and manufacturing stock for the upcoming season. 

Travis Butterworth
Message 29 of 32
Admin

Love it! How is off-season treating you so far?

Max Pete
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Seller Community
Message 30 of 32

no 😍 i am a publisher and my business run all 365 days

Message 31 of 32
Admin

Nice! Are some months busier than others in your business?

Max Pete
Community Engagement Program Manager, Square
Seller Community
Message 32 of 32